VMware Cloud Community
devinderaujla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI 5.5 - Dell T410 - Increased RAID VD size, how to increase ESXi datastore size now?

Hello all, novice user here. I increased capacity of the virtual drive on my Dell T410 server and want to know how to expand the size of existing datastore on the esxi server which is on the same virtual drive.

I understand that I can move all the data on the current datastore and then remove it and then delete it to rescan and add it with the increased capacity, however, am wondering if it can be expanded without much hassle?

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the resized virtual drive only contains the VMFS datastore, you can increase the size from the GUI. In case it contains other partitions too (e.g. the ESXi installation), you need to resize it from the command line (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2002461).

If you are unsure, please post the output of the commands shown in steps 3, 5 and 7.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the resized virtual drive only contains the VMFS datastore, you can increase the size from the GUI. In case it contains other partitions too (e.g. the ESXi installation), you need to resize it from the command line (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2002461).

If you are unsure, please post the output of the commands shown in steps 3, 5 and 7.

André

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello,

Assuming it is a local datastore and the logical volume on the RAID has already been increased to the new capacity, just connect to the host using the vSphere client, right click on the host, select 'Rescan for Datastores', hit 'OK' to rescan both devices and datastores. Once the rescan is done, follow the steps from the below article -

VMware Knowledge Base

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
devinderaujla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Andre and Supreet for quick replies.

I was able to successfully to do it following your instructions.

0 Kudos