VMware Cloud Community
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXI 5.1 vm's stop responding, blank host screen.

Old (very) 5.1 that as this week twice gone unresponsive.  Guests appear unresponsive, Host has blank screen.   Power off and on restores normal operation.   Not sure what to make of logs which I have attached, edited for brevity.  

It appears there may be a host hardware issue, (perhaps a failing drive?) that does not shout out.   The logs immediately following midnight continue until, apparently, I reset the host at about 08:52.xx

Any advice appreciated, including "time to upgrade".

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mlnelson
Contributor
Contributor

Without going into detail but glancing at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1010244 you are definitely having some SCSI check conditions, and I think you are on the right track looks like a drive is going. 

I would be looking at the IMPI / out-of-band management of the host and look at those logs and error conditions and see if the drive has gone band. It's also possible the RAID controller has started to fail as well (assuming the host is as old as the version of ESXi). 

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

And yes, given that you would accept it as advice, it would really be a good idea to carry out a technological update both in terms of the software tools and in all likelihood also of the hardware means. 😁

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, currently looking into both.   However as a now (long) retired IT person and current "hobbyist" (essentially) it takes a bit of pondering.

Mainly, this is a licensed free version of ESXi and while I can upgrade several version at least, last I read, VMware has abandoned the idea of allowing the free license to be applied to the newest versions.   Perhaps that is not accurate?

0 Kudos
joeseppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.   I made the effort to re-seat RAM and connectors and hoping for the best, until I can hunt up some new drives.  And maybe some replacement RAM.   Both seem agreeably priced right now.  

Seems like the simplest course for the moment

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

If things do not change at the moment it is still possible to register for the "vSphere Hypervisor" version 7/8 product (the so-called "free" ESXi), you need to make sure that the underlying hardware is compatible. It must also be said that certain systems can nowadays be found on the second-hand market for amounts that are all in all affordable.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos