VMware Cloud Community
tom279
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 5.1 on IBM blade center HS23 not detecting local disk during installation. Just showing remote disk only.

I am trying to install esxi 5.1 custom image on two  new IBM HS23 blades. During installation, it's detecting remote disk only not the local disk available in the host.

Why is this happening? I have encounter this issue for the first time so it looks weired to me. Can I install esxi in a remote disk? Those servers will go to production soon.

Suggestion please.

8 Replies
Paltelkalpesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had faced the same problem in past, I had  temporally stopped SAN and NAS connector or card from the Bios and tried to installed ESXI but still it showing same while installing then I decided to install and enabled again connector from the bios.

I couldn’t find the exact reason but It has been working since long time without any errors.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... it's detecting remote disk only not the local disk ...

Only to clarify. Are you referring to SAN LUNs when you say "remote disk"? Some RAID controllers present local disks (i.e. logical volumes) as remote storage to the OS.

André

Paltelkalpesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it is correct, RAID controller present local disks as remote disks.

tom279
Contributor
Contributor

It's a SAS drive not SAN LUN.

0 Kudos
tom279
Contributor
Contributor

Can I install esxi 5.1 on remote disk ? Are there any risks on doing that?

I am worried if thats the right approach for IBM blade Centers HS23.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Don't worry. Although its shown as a remote disk, its the internal RAID, and with the RAID controller configured as the boot device (most likely by default) you shouldn't have any issues.

André

0 Kudos
Paltelkalpesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, you can do installation, I have also done in one of production server and it has been working since long time.

0 Kudos
tom279
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you guys so much for your help.

0 Kudos