VMware Cloud Community
kutyeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI 5.1.0 purple screen with openwrt

Hello,

Very annoying problem. I run an openwrt instance and after a few reboots the ESXI 5.1.0 shows purple core dump screen on the console.

I have an HP Proliant DL 360 G7 with latest firmware update from HP. Also installed the latest HP drivers. It should be fully supported

but no cigar.  I did not encounter this problem with ESXI 5.0.0. Anyway around this problem? What kind of logging do you need from me to look

into this?

Regards K Yeli

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well ... Normally this isn't for your build .. But the purple screen you have does look remarkably similar to this:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2038767&sliceId=1&doc...

Does your ESXi come up/stay up at all or is it completely down? ... If you can access it, you could test with this setting ... Though as I said, normally if your build is higher than this it should be solved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, welcome to the community ...

What kind of error do you get in the purple screen? Can you post a screenshot of it?

To get more information about purple screens, if you haven't seen it already: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004250

As for logs, the vmkernel.log or the vmkwarning.log would be interesting to start with ...

kutyeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello Spravtek,

Thanks for the reply. Please find attached the wanted data.

I hope it helps finding the problem. If there is anything more I can do please let me know.

I am about to downgrade 10 servers which is not a very nice job just before christmas! 🙂

Regards

K. Yeli

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, quick question ... What is the exact patch-level/releasenumber of your ESXi servers?

0 Kudos
kutyeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Esxi 5.1.0 build 838463? Installed it fresh from the 5.1.0 DVD. Is this exact patch level somewhere available?

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No, that's what I needed, thanks ...

You installed ESXi 5.1.0a from the HP ISO or from VMware ISO and then installed the drivers separately?

Just to be clear on this ...

It could still be hardware/driver related ...

0 Kudos
kutyeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried both in fact. The version now installed is the HP ISO.

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you using pass through at all? ... Some reported problems with that as well ...

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There might be an issue with storage as well ...

From the logs

nmp_ThrottleLogForDevice:2319: Cmd 0x85 (0x4124403cdd40, 5260) to dev "naa.600508b1001c33be9a396e400afec6ba" on path "vmhba0:C0:T0:L1" Failed: H:0x0 D:0x2 P:0x0 Valid sense data: 0x5 0x20 0x0. Act:NONE

Some sort of flapping maybe ...

But it could also be that it is triggered by something else ... Maybe network cards ... What are you using as storage?

0 Kudos
kutyeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

I use the USB passthru. I have an USB modem connected to the openwrt instance.

Therefore I have to disable the usb-storage. (esxcfg-module -u usb-storage).

But even before enabeling this passthru I get the resets.

Regards.

0 Kudos
kutyeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use the native network cards on the main board of the HP DL 360 . There are 4 of them. No additional network cards. Do you want more details about this?

Storage is 2 SDD drives in HP hardware raid 1. Do you want model types as well?

If I can provide more answers please ask!

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well ... Normally this isn't for your build .. But the purple screen you have does look remarkably similar to this:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2038767&sliceId=1&doc...

Does your ESXi come up/stay up at all or is it completely down? ... If you can access it, you could test with this setting ... Though as I said, normally if your build is higher than this it should be solved.

0 Kudos
kutyeli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear spravtek,

I did the /BufferCache/MinZeroCopyBufferLength -i 512 change.

I have performed a number of restarts of the instance and the ESXI host remains stable now!

But when I close down the openwrt instance in the console by command halt and after that performing 'power down' in

the sphere client the host still reboots.

K Yeli.

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That's excellent news ... I hope the fix holds up and you can enjoy the holidays Smiley Wink

Maybe that bug isn't fixed in the latest update, or not for all machines, thing to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos