VMware Cloud Community
tfcatalanojr08
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 4.1 hiding local datastores

Hello All ,

I am deploying a esxi4.1 environment and I am looking to hide the local stoage from the users who depoly the vms is there a way to just hide local storage in the permissions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - you will need to assign the No Access permission in the Datastore Inventory view for which ever Datastores you want to block them from -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
tfcatalanojr08
Contributor
Contributor

I had the idea for that but trying to figure out how to assign that to the group of users i am looking to apply this to ?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if a standalone ESXi host, do you have a AD environment you can join the ESXi Host to? This way you can just apply the no access role to an AD group. If you have vCenter then same applies, just add the AD group to the no access role, maybe create folder, and move the local datastores into that folder, then apply the permissions to the folder. (using the Datastores View)

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using vCenter or is this a standalone host? If you are using vCenter and the vCenter server is part of your AD domain you than can use AD users and groups and assign permissions to those. If it is a standalone host I do not think this will be possible since permissions on host do not have the granularity that vCenter provides -

0 Kudos