VMware Cloud Community
FINSVE
Contributor
Contributor

ESX4 with qle406xc, IBM x3650, and nexsan iscsi. Failover problem on hba

CONFIG

ESX 4.1

1 IBM x3650, with 2 single qlogic qle406Xc iscsi hba adapter.

1 IBM x3650, with 2 single qlogic qle406Xc iscsi hba adapter.

2 cisco 2960 switches.

2 nexsan i-series 200 switches

2 nexsan sas storage "boys2" i mirror, with 2 datastor`s " it`s the i-series switcher which mirror the virtual lun`s"

The iscsi adapters on each ESX server is on to different subnet`s.

The nexsan switch, sw-1 port 0 is on one subnet, port 1 on a another subnet.

The nexsan switch, sw-2 port 0 is on the same subnet as sw1-port 0, port 1 on the same subnet as sw1-port 1.

The iscsi portal ip adresses is active on one switch and passive on the another. Have 4 portal ip`s.

Both adapter can se both off the lun`s, and path`s is running in round robin.

Each adapter can se 2 path to the storage1 and storage2

The problem is when i test failover, the esx host missing the connection to the storage in esx. "I turn off 1 off the cisco switches and 1 i-series switches."

I been waiting for 5 minutes but it is not failover to the another hba.

Have tested to use 2 ethernet cards and use iscsi software initiator.

Running round robin ans the software initiator see`s 4 path. 2 path storage1 and 2 path storage2.

Its working, ...........but when i use the same config with the iscsi hardware initiator, the connection is not failover to the another hba.

Have also tried fixed path

The nexsan i-series switcher are on the VMware Compatibility Guide.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?device_cat=san&device_id=9606

Qlogic adapter and X3650 are also supported.

Should SP failover with hardware initiator work out off the box in vmware ESX?

I have search a lot on the web, but most off the info is releated to iscsi software initiator.

any idea?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
peterdabr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would simply double-check hba's documentation to make sure any settings pertaining to multipathing in ESX have been set properly.

Also, with simulated failure of Cisco and nexan switch and no access to storage, can you manually set path policy to"Fixed" and determine if you can see luns eventually?

Peter D.

0 Kudos
FINSVE
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem with fixed path policy. It`s working fine to I try too failover. (turn off one off the cisco and nexsan iscsi swithes)

Is the anyone out there running iscsi hba card in vmware esx with failover.

0 Kudos
FINSVE
Contributor
Contributor

hei

0 Kudos