VMware Cloud Community
bstech
Contributor
Contributor

ESX4 and HP Smart Array P212 + MSL2024 Tape library

Hi.

I'm trying to use a HP MSL2024 tape library attached to a smart array P212 (which is the recommended solution of HP, see quick specs of MSL2024). Sadly, VMware just show's the tape drive at LUN 0, but no changer device - which should be at LUN 1.

I looked into the system of ESX and recognized that the VMware developers renamed the module usually named "cciss" under linux to "hpsa", but when reading the files under proc (/proc/drivers/hpsa and /proc/scsi/hpsa) everything looks similar. According to the documentation (see attachment) of the cciss-driver, my configuration works perfectly when the "SCSI engine" of the smart array is engaged. ESX has the SCSI engine engaged, which showed up in the kernel log when I tried to use the engage command.

Has anyone tried such a configuration? Is VMware planning to correct this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Nici

0 Kudos
3 Replies
netkombonnet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

i also got this configuration via HP´s CTO System.

When trying to set up the system i also saw only one lun.

SCSI Passthrough didn´t work.

VMDirectPath showed the Library and the Tape Drive at the corresponding W2K8 Guest.

When trying to acces the Library, the Devices disappeared in Device-Manager and where not to reattach.

A Reboot was followed by a total System Hang with a NMI Error.

I had to power off the system for getting it boot again.

For that i had to open 4 Support-Tickets with HP (Storage,Server,VMware,Storage-division), doing some memory tests, switching memory banks, Tapetools test....

They also sent a tech for replacing the motherbord. The tech wondered himself, that a library is connected to an array controller.

After that we als tested an adapatec 2045 controller, the system could also only see one lun, VMDirectPAth only showed one device, but there were no more System Errors and NMI Errors.

The Adaptec is also an array controller, that does not handle multilun correctly.

So it was clear that the p212 controller, which is VM certified has a big problem with multi lun devices.

When talking again to HP Support, i got suddenly the answer, that there is only one supported Controller for this Library (SC44Ge).

After sending the quickspecs to the support , they told me the next day, that the p212 controller is supported.

After that, they wanted to replace the p212 controller (possibly defect), i told to sent also the other controller, but got only one p212.

After replacing the p212 the error still occured.

One of the VM-Supporters suggested to use a SC08 GE Controller (LSI Chip).

Finally i ordered the SC08Ge Controller, as HP was not willing to sent me a differnt type of controller to get the system running.

The SC08Ge shows both LUNs , you can directly map those devices to your guest system and run your backups. I use Symantec BE 12.5 now.

Finally i am really thinking about using other Hardware Vendors for the next customerprojects, as there was not really an helpful Support.

It took about 13 Days to get a running System. I spent at least 4 entire days for system debugging, testing, installing, placing phonecalls, booting and so on.

Kind Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
bstech
Contributor
Contributor

To be more precisely: My MSL2024 worked perfeclty, attached to the P212, using a standard linux kernel or windows server 2008. Also under ESX4 i could use the tape drive without any problems, just the changer device was absent.

Regards,

Nici

0 Kudos
Kellergeist
Contributor
Contributor

I have same Issue, place HP Dataprotector Support Ticket and Vmware Support ticket.

my HP Storageworks 1/8 Autoloader with SCSI connection to HP SC11Xe (HP Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter G2) was working on ESX 2.5 - 3.5U4 also in the Vmware ESX Service Console, was displayed under /proc/scsi/scsi and the HP Library and Tape tools also recognized it in the Service console

with Vmware ESX4 the Autoloader Robotic is no longer recognized, but the LTO3 Tapedrive is working.

on Vmware ESX4 vSphere Client I can see the HP Tape and HP Autoloader and can use with Windows VM on the ESX host where the Autoloader is connected

must have to do with Vmware ESX4 SCSI reservation / path. But I get no reply how to fix...

0 Kudos