VMware Cloud Community
CSMWAF
Contributor
Contributor

ESX4 Host stucks a long time in booting..

Hello Guys,

All of my three ESX4U1 (conntected and booting to a FC SAN) host stucks during boot for a very long time (between 5-25 min) at

"Starting Path Claiming and SCSI Device Discovery..."

After its done the server boots up as normal.. This happend also before Update 1.

Hard powering off and power on solves the problem...

Any Idea?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jwenzel
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem on two Dell R900's that I recently upgraded from 3.5 to 4.0 u1a, both with Qlogic 4Gb HBA's. If anyone has a solution I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander

Sounds to me like device Locks on the disks, what storage have you got on the backend? how is it setup with the Boot from SAN?

0 Kudos
mibo44
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue, except that I am not booting my hosts from the SAN. We have HP BL495c G6 servers with Emulex LPe11000 HBAs. The Firmware and drivers on the HBAs are up to date.I am also using running ESX4U2. We use Virtual Connect manager for the blades too. Has anyone seen Virtual Connect cause an issue like this?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know whether you are using ESX or ESXi but installing ESXi directly to USB or in your case SD is a supported install option. The HP servers have a dedicated internal USB or SD slot just for this purpose. Leave the complete array available for the datastore. Another option with HP is to use the ACU CD or Smartstart disk and create different arrays from the available disk space. A very small mirrored one for ESXi (ESXi only requires 1GB) and the balance in whatever RAID for the balance.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos