VMware Cloud Community
RahulMM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX4.0 gateway not pinging.

Hello Guys,

I have an ESX server 3.5 U4. To get some hands on ESX4.0 , I presented a 50 gb LUN to my ESX3.5 and created a VMFS datastore on it. I successfully installed ESX4.0 on this 50 gb data store. So in a way I have a virtual ESX4.0 server. After installation I tried to ping my gateway which gives me destination not reachable message. I also cannot ping my ESX4.0 from outside.

ping localhost and ping <ESX4.0 IP> from ESX service console are working properly. I really dont understand why I am not able to ping my gateway from ESX4.0 service console.

Thinking it might be a firewall issue, I have disabled firewall and iptables on ESX4.0. Still the problem persistes.

My all other VM's within ESX3.5 are working fine and i can get reply from the gateway too.

Any idea why am I getting this issue with ESX4.0????

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tsugliani
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Did you change your portgroup hosting ESX 4.0 in promiscious mode ?

If not, that should be the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It could be to the fact that running ESX 4.0 in a VM is not supported so my guess is it having problems with the virtual NIC -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
RahulMM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there any doc/pdf that mentions about this unsupported feature??

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nothing official - I am just going from history in that running ESX inside a VM has never been officially supported even though you can - and since the HCL for vSphere will be much tighter than it is for VI-3

tsugliani
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Did you change your portgroup hosting ESX 4.0 in promiscious mode ?

If not, that should be the issue.

0 Kudos
RahulMM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey I enabled promiscuous mode...and it worked......And finally I can run ESX4.0 as a VM inside ESX3.5............

0 Kudos