CEXP
Contributor
Contributor

ESX4.0 U3: Can't SSH using any account "Access Denied"

Hi,

I'm having issues logging into an ESX4.0 Update 3 host remotely.

I seem to be able to connect to the host fine using Putty though that is as far as I can get.

Everytime I enter a username in the "login as" field and press <enter> I receive the following message "access denied". It will then prompt for a password and state "access denied" as well.

With the vSphere client I've checked that the accounts are granted shell access, though i think perhaps this is not related to this.

I've searched the forum and read through some KB articles however they've generally been about how to allow root access, which isn't really addressing my issue. I did find a KB articles in regards to 4.1, which states adding the user to the administrator which I have done, with no result.

I've able to login as root and the other accounts when physically at the host using the console.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe the problem is because your non privilege users are not in a group that is allow remote connection. I had this happen to me when I  upgraded from an earlier version of esx4.0 to esx4.1  In my case even adding the user to th wheel did not work, I had to add the user to the root group in order to get ssh access. Right or not this is what vmware told me to do after like youit stumbled me for a while.  That is if  you ar having the same issue as I did previously  Notice it say "access denied" and not password incorrect .

AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

If SSH works, than user and password are fine.

But for vSphere client you must also add a permission (see permission tab), by default only root user is allowed to connect.

Andre

Andre | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
sanderdaems1987
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
CEXP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your helpful responses. Issue is sorted

My username/password were correct and I did already have the accounts in the root membership.

The issues wasn't SSH either, which makes sense as I could establish a connection.

Issue ended up being my Putty client, I was able to use Hyperterminal and Teraterm to get in without having to make any changes. Reinstalled Putty and it worked again.

Sorry sanderdaems19... I couldn't allocate more points due to the limitation of only allowing for two helpful answers.

Thank you all once again.

0 Kudos