VMware Cloud Community
eldingo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX3.5 and Virtual Center upgrade to 4.1

Hello All:

I need your help with VI3 infrastructure upgrade to 4.1. We currently have 2 ESX3.5 hosts (at two different locations), and we are running a 2.5 Virtual Center Server. What is the easiest and least painfull way to upgrade to ESX 4.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the first step is to upgrade you vCenter Server and it's modules. ESX4.1 has to be managed by vCenter4.1

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the first step is to upgrade you vCenter Server and it's modules. ESX4.1 has to be managed by vCenter4.1

0 Kudos
eldingo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy, thaks for the prompt response. But my question was incomplete, and I accidentally posted it. Currently our Virtual Center Server 2.5 and License Server is installed on a AD domain controller. We are not doing any Vmotion or DRS. I really would like to install the vCenter 4.1 Server on a new 64bit Windows server and also install the SQL server on the same machine. Can I leave the existing virtual center server in placed and build the Vcenter and move the ESX servers?

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can I leave the existing virtual center server in placed and build the Vcenter and move the ESX servers?

Yes, you may however you would lose all the configuration settings for vCenter because there would be a new database. Once your new vCenter 4.1 is setup disconnected and remove the ESX hosts from the old VC and add it to the new VC.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
eldingo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks f10.

0 Kudos