VMware Cloud Community
firewall68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX04i on HP DL385 G2 Sensor other Error: System Board 2 ProcHot - Limit exceeded

hello everybody,

i installed a esxi server at a hp dl385g2 (firmware 8.50). after the first start a sensor post the following error:

System Board 2 ProcHot - Limit exceeded ?? ?:|

can anyone tell me what type of error this is ??

thx

mike

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just download an earlier firmware CD from HP

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is a hardware sensor on the motherboard. I would post this in the HP forums.

firewall68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thx for help 80)

cheers

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Same with HP DL 385 G5p and firmware from 8.50 cd. Not with older firmware.

0 Kudos
dennislberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Had the same issue on a bl465c g5 with iLO 2 1.78

I downgraded to iLO 1.70 and now the warning is gone.

0 Kudos
firewall68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

has anyone a link 2 get the downgrade firmware 4 ilo 1.70 ??

thx

mike

firewall68

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just download an earlier firmware CD from HP

0 Kudos
impag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same Error here. Upgraded from ESX 3.5u3 to ESX vSphere (4) and got "System Board 2 ProcHot - Limit exceeded". I am not that eager to downgrade any firmware rather to have HP or VMWare fix that.

HP says, that this is gonna be fixed, in the meantime:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01833766&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Following an upgrade to ESX 4.0.0 - Update 1 - build 208167, today, the ProcHot problem persists on our two DL385 G5 units. The firmware on these systems has been updated with the HP Firmware Maintenance CD v8.60 dated 8/10/2009. In HP's technote on this issue referenced above, they are pointing the finger at VMware.

0 Kudos
Maddas69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
mikkel-robin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have had the same issus, with several HP DL385G2 servers.

After upgrading ILO to version fw 1.80 the sensor for ProcHot returned a warning.

The issue was fixed by installing the firmware version 1.77 located here:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/doc/p2025081362/v49549/filehandler.html?path=/pub/softlib2/...

Please notice that you need a linux box to extract the BIN file, running the command: sh CP010541.scexe --unpack=ilo

where ilo is the dir you want to unpack to.

Hope this helps!

Rgds

Mikkel

0 Kudos
wbednarzyk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Downgrading the firmware is the solution? How about if VMWare fixes their reporting bug? I mean, the sensor is reporting normal in the insight manager screen, yet VMWare interprets it as out of spec. I found the official VMWare response reprehensible. They say I should "Safely Ignore it" how can one "Safely ignore" an error alarm? Please do not tell me that the resolution to a problem is to "safely ignore" the problem. How can I "safely ignore" a big yellow exclamation point error message on the virtual center? What if I ignore something "real" by accident?

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agree that a firmware downgrade is a poor workaround, as is the advice to "safely ignore" the error. As a practical matter, VMware prioritizes their bug fixing efforts at least in part based on a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" approach. Thus anyone reading this post who has a support contract should consider contacting VMware Tech Support to report this problem. I understand that ESX 4.0 Update 2 is due to be released in about one month. I plan to open a support case if this issue isn't resolved with that release.

0 Kudos
wbednarzyk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Funny thing is, I have had a support case open with them for almost one month and so far the response has been "Safely Ignore" and will be fixed with the next Update.... We have a Platinum agreement and have been long time customers, but, their response is very troublesome. Makes me wonder if there might be some change coming to the company.

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think the change is likely related to the rapid growth of the company and the complexity of their software. Both of these create management challenges and a decreased ability to rapidly respond to technical problems. Think back to the simpler days of ESX v2. This reminds me as well of the "reset" that Bill Gates attempted when the Windows Vista development process got stalled a few years ago. Vista still didn't turn out very well, and ultimately Windows 7 emerged when Microsoft experienced a drop in sales and some competitive pressure. The best thing that could happen to VMware would be to face an agile competitor.

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This past weekend I did a complete power cycle of all of our ESX servers and our SAN. Completely turning off the power of course reset the iLO systems on the servers. Now that everything is back up again, the ProcHot warnings are gone from our DL385 G5 servers in vCenter. The solution to this problem can't be this simple, can it? The iLO 2 firmware version is 1.77 04/23/2009.

0 Kudos