VMware Cloud Community
wabit
Contributor
Contributor

ESX with one IPv4 and one IPv6

Hi,

I am currently trying to configure ESXi on a new box that has limited IP resources:

1 NIC

1 IPv4 Address

1 IPv6 Address

I know it can be difficult to do set this up with only one IPv4 but my idea was to use IPv6 for the management and then use PfSense with the IPv4 address to NAT my VM's.

The only issue i am having is that when i remove the IPv4 address from the VmKernel Port and try to assign it to a VM it is unable to ping out to the gateway.

I am relatively new to ESXi so am wondering if I am missing something simple or am i trying to do something that is just not possible.

Any help with this would be great.

2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - You are making it more complicated than it needs to be - in the vSphere environment different submnets can share the same physical NIC - can you provide more information about your physical network environment - like how is the networking configured - do you have a single router/gateway? do you have multiple subnets?

This should give you more information - Configuring vNetwork Standard Switches - vSphere [V5.0] - VMware Learning

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
wabit
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link i will give those a watch.

I am actually using Kimsufi as a host for a dedicated server.

They only provide me with a single ipv4 address and a single ipv6 address, as the server is remote i do not know anything about the physical network.

0 Kudos