VMware Cloud Community
KrzysztofZalesk
Contributor
Contributor

ESX/vCenter shows wrong LUN size

Hello,

I have a weird case with EMC VNX5300 (block) and ESX 5.1/5.5. We have configured several LUNs on VNX (different sizes: 500GB, 1.5T, etc). When I discover LUNs in vCenter they appear with totally wrong sizes. For example LUN 1.5T is shown as 1T. I could understand smaller size, but another LUN 1.5T shows 2T. I checked LUNs on VNX, they seem to be OK, no alerts are displayed. All VMware components, ie. ESX 5.1, ESX 5.5 and vCenter show wrong sizes. I have installed several such environments and this is the first time I see something like this. Can anyone help in diagnosing this issue, as I run out of ideas. There are production VMs there, so I cannot delete and re-create LUNs for now.

Best regards,

Krzysztof

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This really sounds weird. Can you confirm the LUN sizes show up with the wrong size, i.e. not the VMFS datastore sizes?

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

At the time you created the VMFS-volumes - did you see unpartitioned LUNs ?

I noticed that ESXi 5.5 latest build can not reliably handle LUNs that are already partitioned.
To avoid similar problems I would not even attempt to use ESXi to repartition a LUN - use thirdparty tools to wipe existing partitions before you create VMFS-volumes.

For further troubleshooting - check partitiontables with partedUtil - if the LUN was used as scratchspace before you may have a hard time to create new VMFS-volumes and you may find a partition that can not be deleted via partedUtil.

If you see unpartitioned LUNs ignore my post

0 Kudos