VMware Cloud Community
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX uses nic with different mac address than virtual connect reports

Hi all,

Our ESX environment consists of HP C7000 enclosures, virtual connect 1 gb ethernet with a mix of BL460c and BL480c. We just bought a few new BL460c G7 with NC553i nics to replace some of the oldest BL480c. We have configured Virtual Connect to assign mac addresses. In the vc management consoleI see the mac addresses assigned to the server, but when I boot the server it displays a different mac address for nic #2 than vc does. Nic #1 has the same mac address in vc management console and in server BIOS. When I install ESX it also sees the "wrong" mac address for nic #2. According to vmware nic #2 doesn't have any networks connected to it, which it should if it really was nic #2 (according to vc management console).

When I look at the mac addresses in BIOS none of the nic's have the mac address assigned by vc. VC firmware is 3.01. I have enclosed pictures of the information I see in VC managment console and BIOS. Does anyone have any clues to what is happening and how I can resolve it? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

GB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ramnikd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please refer to:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100116...

Note:   The ESX host uses self-generated addresses starting with 00:50:56 (as  opposed to the burned-in address of the interface itself).

To determine the MAC address of an ESX host's administration interface, run the command:
# ifconfig |grep -i hw
The output appears similar to:
vswif0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:56:41:5A:59
The MAC address is found in the first line after HWaddr.  In this example, the MAC address is 00:50:56:41:5a:59.

Note:   The ESX host uses self-generated addresses starting with 00:50:56 (as  opposed to the burned-in address of the interface itself).

Alternatively, review the outputted information and MAC addresses from the command esxcfg-nics -l.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ramnikd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please refer to:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100116...

To determine the MAC address of an ESX host's administration interface, run the command:
# ifconfig |grep -i hw
The output appears similar to:
vswif0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:56:41:5A:59
The MAC address is found in the first line after HWaddr.  In this example, the MAC address is 00:50:56:41:5a:59.

Alternatively, review the outputted information and MAC addresses from the command esxcfg-nics -l.
0 Kudos
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did figure that out, but thanks for answering an old question! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos