VMware Cloud Community
Rais317
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX unable to Ping Host - Very weird issue.....

Hi,

I have one issue still no resolve until now. Kindly please assist me if you have this issue before or similar issue.

The issue like this....1 vm having issue not pingable from ESX Host. After restart the VM, ESX able to ping back.

Action Taken

1. Migrate this problem Virtual Machine to other host - Done but problem still persist

2. Check the connection like ping then found before restart the virtual machine:-

From My Side

============

2.1 - Ping our monitoring to ESX - OK

2.2 - PIng ESX to VM - Getting unreachable - not sure either this is main problem (before ask our customer to restart the VM)

From Customer Side

=================

Before restart VM

-------------------------

1. Ping ESX, Monitoring and other VM - ok

After restart VM

-----------------------

1. Ping ESX, Monitoring and other VM - ok

Now about ESX host. This VM before this in ESX 1. Then I decide to migrate this VM to ESX 2 but still problem not resolve. Other VM in ESX2 not having this issue at all.

Next Action

=========

1. Ask our customer to disable LGTO - not done by customer (as our requirement cannot remote to VM)

We using vSphere 4.1 and the best part, this issue not happening every day or week. Sometime happen every one week - ( this i believe maybe our customer set schedule) and sometime happen every 2 week. More best part sometimes happen 2 times in a week.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rais317
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally after our user disable the LGTO_Sync the issue resolved. We don't have this 'weird' issue anymore.

Thanks for who helping this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The potential causes of problems here is large, so we need a little more info to help you out.

1. Is the VMs connected to a dvswitch?

2. Have you tested the vlan/network used with another vm?

3. Have you tried connectivity between vms in same vlan/network on same host?

A screenshot of network config would help decide our recommended actions

0 Kudos
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

May i suggest a little test. Remove the current virtual NIC, then add a new NIC and configure it up. Also make sure vmware tools is properly installed.

May I ask what OS the vm is running? Did it work earlier and then lost Connection?

Does the vmware overview show vmware Tools as running on that machine?

0 Kudos
Rais317
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Hawkerman,

Thank you for give suggestion. Will proceed to do when it come to time this vm is "wake up" again. Currently now, she is "sleeping" meaning this vm is currently not down from our monitoring.

For more your understanding hawkerman, currently windows OS using windows 2003. Here I have an issue that we not allow to remote to our customer vm and our part just only from vCenter only. If got any changes we need assist from customer to remote on behalf of us. Easy to say, we produce the step by step and our customer will perform base on step given. Since you ask to add new NIC and I believe required to power off the VM so need approval from our customer to this activity.

If back of history, since I also new joiner for this company what I can see the issue starting on last September as I know but information from my colleague this issue happening long time ago.

For VMTool, I believe it should be on the VM but I will double check on this tools.

Other thing, I get information regarding the LGTO_Sync need to disable but not sure about this. Base on your experience before are this best practice? Here I paste the link regarding this

VMWare Snapshot causes server to freeze | sheenaustin.com

kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004809

0 Kudos
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You dont need to shutdown to add a new nic. Just add  it the it will appear, then prepare ip address setup and when ready to push apply, you remove old nic and then apply. Second question, reinstall vmware tools with full install and check that vss. Is installed

0 Kudos
Rais317
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm....I will perform to add new NIC card to this Virtual Machine and will share with you soon.

0 Kudos
Rais317
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally after our user disable the LGTO_Sync the issue resolved. We don't have this 'weird' issue anymore.

Thanks for who helping this.

0 Kudos