VMware Cloud Community
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX to ESXi question

We have two hosts running ESX. I want to move the VMs off each and reinstall ESXi. Is there a config file I can save and restore to reduce configuration once ESXi is installed? Is it esx.conf. If so where is it located and is there a process to copy it off and install it on the new host?

Craig

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The architecture is different between the two systems so your config file probably wouldn't be much help. Do you have the licensing available for Host Profiles? If so, use those to help build your servers. What I did when I migrated was reinstall a host, configure it to my liking, create a host profile and then apply it to every other server that I migrated to ESXi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The architecture is different between the two systems so your config file probably wouldn't be much help. Do you have the licensing available for Host Profiles? If so, use those to help build your servers. What I did when I migrated was reinstall a host, configure it to my liking, create a host profile and then apply it to every other server that I migrated to ESXi.

0 Kudos
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That is very helpful.

Craig

0 Kudos