VMware Cloud Community
markymark007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX time config.

I have a client who says the time in a VM is running 2008 server is always 1 hour ahead. I assume this is something to do with DST. So my question is, if the OS is set at adjust for day light svaing and VM's are set to sync time with the ESX host what should my time setting be for the ESX host.

Our host are located in US/Central time.

Is this right? Or should I have UTC set to "true"

]# cat /etc/sysconfig/clock

ZONE=US/Central

UTC=false

ARC=false

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't change the time on the host as you want it to be the correct time for other future VMs. Do you have the auto adjust for daylight savings time set in Windows? It could be that Windows is adjusting and messing up the sync to the host. If it is set, perhaps just unchecking that box and resyncing will fix the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you uncheck/check the sync time with ESX host, does it sync up to the correct time for a short period? Don't set it to UTC.

0 Kudos
markymark007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes it does sync to the correct time but when the VM reboots the time is 1hour ahead. Should my host be set one hour back?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't change the time on the host as you want it to be the correct time for other future VMs. Do you have the auto adjust for daylight savings time set in Windows? It could be that Windows is adjusting and messing up the sync to the host. If it is set, perhaps just unchecking that box and resyncing will fix the issue.

0 Kudos
markymark007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for you feedback.

The windows VM is set to auto adjust for daylight saving which is the issue. Thanks for your help on clearing that up.

0 Kudos