VMware Cloud Community
mijohnst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX stopped mounting my Netapp NFS share

I have a strange problem that I can't seem to solve.  I have an ESX system that mounts Netapp (7-mode) NFS shares as the datastores.  We recently moved the system into a new building and this system moved. Now we're powering things up and all of a sudden it won't mount the most important datastore anymore.  When I try to mount it I get this error from ESX:

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "ha_datastoresystem" on ESX-i "192.168.1.40" failed.

Operations failed, diagnostics report: Cannot open volume: /vmfs/volumes/3423cf33423-3f34234235

From the ESX /var/log/vmkernel.log it says that it's mounted successfully.  I don't see any errors that it failed.

If I try to mount it from the cli, "esxcli storage nfs -H 192.168.1.50 -s /vol/VM_Data -v Netapp_Datatstore" it will actually mount it with no errors, but if you try to run "ls /vmfs/volumes/Netapp_Datastore" it returns a permission denied.  I can look through all my other datastores with no problem.

I've verified that the Netapp is exporting to NFS3 via TCP and MTU 9000 is working throughout the metadata network.

It's also strange that if I create a new datastore on the same Netapp head it fails the same.... If I create a new datastore on the partner node, it works works just fine!

Another strange thing is that I can mount the datastore on the production network (10.10.10.0/24) to a Solaris system and it mounts.  What's strange is that if I'm root, I get a Permissions Denied if I try to look into it.  If I change to a non-privilege user, I can see all the VM's...

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can suggest something because I'm stumped...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mijohnst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just wanted to come back and give the solution to this issue.  Working with some really good Netapp Engineers we discovered the /etc/usermap.cfg was mis-configured. We found this by using "wcc -u 0" and noticed that there was no account coming back as root.  The fix was to correct the "domainname\AdminUser == root" and boom...the datastore loaded.

Hope this helps someone...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mijohnst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just wanted to come back and give the solution to this issue.  Working with some really good Netapp Engineers we discovered the /etc/usermap.cfg was mis-configured. We found this by using "wcc -u 0" and noticed that there was no account coming back as root.  The fix was to correct the "domainname\AdminUser == root" and boom...the datastore loaded.

Hope this helps someone...

0 Kudos