VMware Cloud Community
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX listening UDP ports 8301 and 8302? Why?

I was performing a NMAP port scan against a test ESXi 4.0 box so we can document what ports it is listening on. All the standard ports came up (80, 427, 902, etc.) but NMAP also said 123 UDP, 8301 and 8302 UDP were open/filtered. I know UDP 123 is NTP time, but I would have though ESXi initiated the communications with the NTP server and wouldn't be listening all the time on 123?

I also tried to Google UDP 8301 and 8302, and came up with no hits related to ESX. Is this just a NMAP glitch, or is ESXi 4.0 really listening on these UDP ports? If so, why?

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1012382

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was aware of that KB article, but it has no mention of 8301 and 8302.

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Then have a look what might have been installed after the fact and not on the list. A specific version of ESXi Dell, IBM, HP that may have additional tools. Openmanage, etc

0 Kudos
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is an ESXi host, so nothing was installed and it's using the generic ESXi install, not one from HP, Dell, etc.

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

What flags are you using?

0 Kudos
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

None. This is a generic ESXi installation with absolutely no tweaking or changes whatsoever.

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

More specific. What nmap flags did you use?

0 Kudos
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

nmap -p 1-65535 -T4 -A -v -PE -PS22,25,80 -PA21,23,80,3389 192.168.0.250

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I ran the nmap scan against several servers here both ESXi 3.5 and 4. No similar ports. Any fingerprint info? Have you tried a telnet to the port?

0 Kudos
dear123
Contributor
Contributor

We ran nmap scan on one of our ESXi machines and couln't find the ports you mentioned

0 Kudos