VMware Cloud Community
simulacra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX insdie a VM

So I have 4.1 up and running inside a VM, I've given it a small chunk of space, around a hundred gig, and it will create machine but not power them on. I get that outside/inside vm message. After some searching I came across changing the deploymentPlatform to vmkernel. In my case, I can't seem to do that as it will stay with windows no matter what I do. The machine starts up to about 20% and then I get the inside/outside error. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wjan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a home lab with several ESXi running in virtual machines. I successfully run 32 bit VMs in these ESXs. (64 bit will not work)

To do so, you have to edit the vmx file of the virtual machines running ESXi and add:

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

This will do the trick

Please consider allocating points if it works

wjk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just to clarify is it ESX(i) that you're using as the base hypervisor?  Here's a good documents that describes the changes required - http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970.

wjan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a home lab with several ESXi running in virtual machines. I successfully run 32 bit VMs in these ESXs. (64 bit will not work)

To do so, you have to edit the vmx file of the virtual machines running ESXi and add:

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

This will do the trick

Please consider allocating points if it works

wjk

0 Kudos
simulacra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed, it's fixed. I was applying the config on machines inside the VM and not the ESXI host. VM is pretty awesome, but when you get deep into it you are kind of in a maze of mirrors..

0 Kudos