ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  ESX host thinks client has CD connected but no client has?

Posted Jan 29, 2010 08:12 PM

I got a vm I want to do vmotion storage on, but I get prevented from doing so because the ESX host thinks a client has CD/DVD connected. Nobody has any console open to it.

The vmotion message is:

Virtual machine is configured to use a device that prevents the operation: Device 'CD/DVD Drive 1' is a connected device with remote backing[/quote]

When I go to edit settings of that vm, it shows under CD/DVD Drive 1 that it is connected to another client. Called Vmware support, they got no clue, tried to restart hostd and vpxa, but neither helped either.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this, without power down?

• 2.  RE: ESX host thinks client has CD connected but no client has?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 29, 2010 08:17 PM

If CD is connected to client device connection persists until it is manually disconnected or person connected CD closes his session (vSphere Client). Even if VM Console is closed connection still persists.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

• 3.  RE: ESX host thinks client has CD connected but no client has?

Posted Jan 29, 2010 08:18 PM

I have already asked all my coworkers, nobody of them says they connected an image/local drive and they have all closed their vSphere clients at this point.

• 4.  RE: ESX host thinks client has CD connected but no client has?

Posted Jan 29, 2010 08:26 PM

Try using powercli

This might help

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/33683

• 5.  RE: ESX host thinks client has CD connected but no client has?

Posted Jan 29, 2010 08:33 PM

yep, that did it

# vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/4a275aac-fece2be9-7843-00237df270a0/vmsapdev02/vmsapdev02.vmx disconnectdevice ide1:0

disconnectdevice(ide1:0) = 1

Now it shows not connected and I can do vmotion storage.

• 6.  RE: ESX host thinks client has CD connected but no client has?

Posted Aug 28, 2015 02:49 AM

To update this a bit, in powercli 5.1 (and possibly newer) the relevant command looks something like:

get-cdDrive -vm "My VM Name" | set-cddrive -connected $false

(ensure you "eject" the cd on the guest first, otherwise you'll get a warning you have to respond to in vsphere client to say yes override the lock / no don't do anything)