VMware Cloud Community
ziarzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX host keep disconnecting

I installed Workstation 7 on my laptop and then i installed ESX4 and i installed Win 2008 server DC, and XP as client, its a small network within workstation 7 i installed vcenter on xp. i added esx host in vcenter but very often ESX get disconnected i got error at vSphere client "Host not responding in red". all name resolution are fine each machine can ping each other by IP as well as hostname . no firewall, all port are at default

Windows server 2008 Domain controller. 10.0.1.2. 255.0.0.0 gateway 10.0.1.1 DNS 10.0.1.2 (no firewall)

XP client (vCenter server latest updated one) 10.0.1.3 255.0.0.0 gateway 10.0.1.1 DNS 10.0.1.2 (no firewall)

ESX1 host vSphere. 10.0.1.244 255.0.0.0 gateway 10.0.1.1 DNS 10.0.1.2

ESX2 host vSphere. 10.0.1.241 255.0.0.0 gateway 10.0.1.1 DNS 10.0.1.2

Also i can't enable vCenter service status and vcenter hardware status

All ESX hosts are in default setting i did not any add plug in all plug in are default plug in

I am running vSphere client on win 7 which is my laptop and host machine for Workstation 7

please see attach screen shot of vcenter client and event log of both ESX host

Any clue

Thank

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is either an issue with the networking setup or there's a firewall in place blocking some ports.

Anyway, please open a new thread for a new question. Also please mark the question as answered (if it is) and select correct and /or helpful answers.

This will help other users having similar issues to benfit from the community.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please read ESX 4.0 U1 host disconnects from VC and follow the links I posted there.

... gateway 10.0.1 DNS 10.0.1.1.1

I assume these are typos.

André

0 Kudos
ziarzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry yeah its typo

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just want to make sure you saw the first line of my previous post with the link.

André

0 Kudos
ziarzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

thanks for reply. yeah i did check the link it was helpful but one thing i don't understand why it stop disconnecting since i change the manage ip address in vcenter. here is how i am accessing vcenter

My XP vm has two NIC one is custom host only which is 10.0.1.3

Other NIC has 192.168.164.164 which is i am using to connect Vcenter on XP from my host OS which win 7 on my laptop

Since i change Manage IP option in vcenter setting its not disconnecting though i am connected to vcenter via 192.168.164.164

I don't understand .

See attach file

Thank

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It doesn't matter which IP address you use to connect to the vCenter server.

The managed IP address is used by the ESX hosts to send heartbeats to the vCenter server.

If an incorrect managed IP address is set and vCenter does not receive heartbeats from the ESX host, it will consider the host as disconnected.

André

0 Kudos
ziarzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks i got it. i am new to ESX and preparing for exam let see what happen. i am also getting this error while i am trying to install xp via vcenter as soon as you chose local CD drive for installation it says drive disconnected but when i access vcenter within workstation network it did fine and it connect to local CD drive.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is either an issue with the networking setup or there's a firewall in place blocking some ports.

Anyway, please open a new thread for a new question. Also please mark the question as answered (if it is) and select correct and /or helpful answers.

This will help other users having similar issues to benfit from the community.

André

0 Kudos
aerodevil
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I had a similar problem and it was Windows firewall on my vCenter server in my lab causing issues.  Turned it off and all is well.  Will probably keep it off since it's lab.

Josh Atwell @Josh_Atwell http://www.vtesseract.com http://github.com/joshatwell/
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Like you, I have a similar setup that I have nested inside Workstation running on my laptop.  Thank you for making the comment about the firewall!  I was driving myself nutz until I saw this.  I have disabled the firewall and now I can see my hosts for longer than 30 seconds!  LoL

Thanks again aerodevil

M

0 Kudos