VMware Cloud Community
wahidayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX host can't ping default gateway!

Hi Experts,

I have connected ESX hosts to the cisco switch both via iLO and other ports.

Cisco Switch Config;

int gig 1/0/21 and gig 1/0/13 and gig 1/0/14 are configured as an access ports since they are carrying/tagging only one vLan 306.

From Cisco switch, I can ping the iLo ip address, but I can't ping the management IP address and vice versa.

Managment IP

vlan 306

Attached is the screen shot showing the diagram.

your help will be appreciated.

Regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure what it is, but it's got to be something simple we are missing Smiley Wink

Let's go through each configuration step for the two ESXi network connections (iLO already works, so we don't touch it).

Check the physical switch port configuration for interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13 as well as 1/0/14.

switchport access vlan 306

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

Only connect the network cable for vmnic0 to the host and make sure vmnic0 shows up as "Connected" in the DCUI

pastedImage_7.png

Double check that the VLAN-ID is blank.

pastedImage_8.png

Then ensure the IP settings are correct (i.e no typos, ...) and restart the Management Network from the main menu.

André

View solution in original post

8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please provide details about the vSwitch/port group configuration for the Management network. From what you write the physical configuration seems to be ok, but I think you might have a configuration issue on the Managenemt Network (e.g. VLAN-ID set to 306 instead of 0/None)

André

0 Kudos
wahidayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cisco switch Config;

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/21

switchport mode access

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13

switchport mode access

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/14

switchport mode access

==============================

All I did is configured ESX Management blow;

vlan 306

selected Nic 0 and Nic 4 and Vlan is 306.

Question: Do I need any more configuration apart from the above ? If yes, how ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> selected Nic 0 and Nic 4 and Vlan is 306.

It looks like you did too much already Smiley Wink

With Access ports on the physical switch, you don't want to configure the VLAN-ID on the virtual port group. Setting the VLAN-ID back to zero/none on the Management Network should do the trick.

André

0 Kudos
wahidayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, I did not get your point. Did you mean to configure port-channel/aggregated port/bundled one and make it as none negotiated one and only allow vlan 306 ... If that what you mean, then I tried already that one, but it did not work either. Apart from what I configured above, is there any other additional configuration, that I need to do or ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, you can certainly use access ports if you like. What I meant is that when using access ports on the physical side, you must not set a VLAN-ID on the ESXi host side.

As a side note, you should add spanning-tree portfast to the switch port's configuration.

André

0 Kudos
wahidayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I left the vlan option blank on the esx configuration, but still no joy Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure what it is, but it's got to be something simple we are missing Smiley Wink

Let's go through each configuration step for the two ESXi network connections (iLO already works, so we don't touch it).

Check the physical switch port configuration for interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13 as well as 1/0/14.

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

Only connect the network cable for vmnic0 to the host and make sure vmnic0 shows up as "Connected" in the DCUI

pastedImage_7.png

Double check that the VLAN-ID is blank.

pastedImage_8.png

Then ensure the IP settings are correct (i.e no typos, ...) and restart the Management Network from the main menu.

André

wahidayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

By removing the Vlan number, it worked, it was double tagging ... cisco switching was confused... Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos