VMware Cloud Community
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX host USB for VM?

is it possible to use the ESX Host USB connection for a Linux vm?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The short answer is no.

Depending on the need, I am recommending a Digi USB/Anywhere product, but I never tried them with Linux, only their serial product.

I use this for some dongle. Most other needs could be covered by other product.. For storage it is better to get a small NAS, to get print server for printers and so on.

I use the USB/anywhere only as last resort as it can get expansive. It is not really stated in the specification, but you must dedicate a USB/anywhere to a VM. Even if the device got 5 USB ports, they can only be used by one VM. Each VM can take turn on using the device but no concurrent access.

I make this mistake the first time, 3 security dongle for 3 VM... No way to get it working. Don't make this mistake. (If I am wrong, I would be much happy to be corrected)

Hope it is helping you.

MCP, A, Network, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
Rammi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The next release of vSphere would have support for USB

Source - http://virtualization.info/en/news/2010/05/vsphere-4-1-features-leak.html

aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the information. it is odd that vCenter/vSphere allow the addition of a USB controller but no way to use it.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

A USB controller can be used for virtual USB devices. There are software packages meant for physical machines but they do require that there be a USB controller.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mih
Contributor
Contributor

Barmoss: one box per guest was the exact reason we sent the anywhere usb back, and got a lantronix ubox instead. Atm we are at 7 different guests on it,

aia: sadly afaik, both the lantronix box and anywhereusb only comes with windows software, so not really usefull for your case.

0 Kudos
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The lantronix ubox seem really great. It is too bad that they are EOL and there is no direct replacement from Lantronix.

I would have sold a few one...

MCP, A, Network, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos
mih
Contributor
Contributor

gah, thanks for the heads up, guess ill try to find one for the backup shelf before they disapper all together.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

What will you be using it for?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos