VMware Cloud Community
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX and VMs time synchronization error in spite of NTP server existence

Yesterday an ESX server system time was wrong, and some virtual machines (windows and linux) took the ESX time as their time.

The weird part is that those VMs were synchronized to a physical NTP Server, and the VMware tool time synchronization was disabled!!!

Any idea why this could happen???

Thanks in advanced

Celia.-
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... and the option that synchronize vmware tools to ESX server was disabled

I understand this. However, according to the KB article there's a difference between "disabled" and "completely disabled".

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please check whether one of the tasks mentioned in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1189 may have occurred for the VM's in question.

- When you suspend a  virtual machine, the next time you resume that virtual machine it  synchronizes the time to adjust it to the host.

- Time is  resynchronized when you migrate the virtual machine using vMotion, take a  snapshot, restore to a snapshot, shrink the virtual disk, or restart  the tools service in the virtual machine (including rebooting the  virtual machine).

André

CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The thing is that those VMs didn't obey to the NTP server they were synchronized to, the took the ESX server time, instead of using the NTP server they were configured to synchonized to... and the option that synchronize vmware tools to ESX server was disabled

Celia.-
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... and the option that synchronize vmware tools to ESX server was disabled

I understand this. However, according to the KB article there's a difference between "disabled" and "completely disabled".

André

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I understand it now Smiley Happy

Probably those VMs were moved at that time, because DRS is enabled.

Thanks!

Celia.-
0 Kudos