VMware Cloud Community
atravesde
Contributor
Contributor

ESX and ESXi 4.0 - with VC, 4 esx hosts, and a cx4-120 as shared storage, what server initialized the lun First?

hello

i need to confirm wich one of my 4 esx servers, was the first one that i used to initilize an assign a new shared storage lun of 110GB size, coming from cx4-120 storage

is there any trace about this via CLI command?

by example

there are 4 servers:

esx1

esx2

esx3

esx4

if i used the esx2 server to initialize the shared storage lun as a datastore, and then after that,just doing rescan on the other esx1, esx3, and esx4

to automatically add that datastore.

how, to confirmed that esx2 was the first one server in charge to initialize it.

thanks maynor

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I guess I'm a bit confused on why you would need to know which host first initialized it?

0 Kudos
atravesde
Contributor
Contributor

because after rebooting this esx i lost connection to a datastore

and i am unable to view it again as a datastore, VMs saved on it are showed as a inaccesible status, and i am unable to start them.

reason: i don´t know what happend, why this datastore is lost.

i checked from the EMC2 navisphere gui, an the lun is in the storage group,

the only thing is that this LUN is A "Thin LUN"

i just want to know what esx server of total of 4, was in charge to format de datastore the first time.

thanks

MC.

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Gotcha. So from the SAN side, can you see if its Online or Offline? Can you see it on the other hosts besides ESX2? If not, have you tried to Offline the LUN and Online it again and do a rescan on each host? Is there a chance you could have filled up the Volume? You said it was "thin provisioned" so is there enough free capacity available in your pool? Are the VM's that are offline criticle or just test vm's? If there criticial you may want to put in a Support Call asap. Its also possible the partition on the LUN corrupted. Do you use VCB at all? I've seen that cause issues with LUN's before and the partition getting messed up.

atravesde
Contributor
Contributor

Gotcha. So from the SAN side, can you see if its Online or Offline? .

from navisphere over the LUN doing right click for properties, i see only " Bring LUN online"

i have never use this option, i can not find where is showed the status of the lun , i mean, where GUI say "lun is in offline"

any idea, or CLI command to see this,

if the lun is already in online status, using and click "Bring LUN online" option again, does this cause a disruption?

thanks

MC

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm not familiar with the cx4-120 storage that you have but would think if no hosts can see the storage currently, then it wouldn't cause any more distruption if you try and online it assuming its offline already.

0 Kudos