VMware Cloud Community
amediratta
Contributor
Contributor

ESX V/s. VDI

My customer needs 16 virtual desktops. I have suggested VDI but he wants to use ESX Server only. I want to knwo a few things:

1. Does ESX 4 support creating Windows 7 VMs?

2. What does he loose using ESX against VDI? Any documents to point to this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
1an3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm no VDi expert, but yes, ESX support Windows 7 VMs.

Maybe he has an existing ESX infrastructure and only needs these 16 virtual desktops temporarily? I have contemplated doing something similar for a training course here. Although a 'one-off' is never a one-off if it works well... Smiley Wink

Please consider awarding points.

NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi, VDI just stands for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure. If your client doesn't want to use VMware View (VMware's VDI offering) which runs off an ESX back end so to speak then it depends on the environment and how your going to provide access. You could just deploy 16 vm's and set the windows security policy to allow a single user to log on and just use RDP.

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

With View, the licensing costs can be a bit much for such a small deployment, not to mention getting new hardware (thin or zero terminal stations). Going the ESX Server hosted route might not be the best solution either.

What is the reason why they're looking to run virtual systems with Windows 7? Depending on the hardware on the desks, there's a third option... Create a VMware Workstation VM (a standard issue one) and deploy it to the targeted 16 systems that run it via the VMware Player application (which is free). Depending on what they'll be doing with it, that could be sufficient for the needs. I actually did this for a few people at a previous company since they only needed to run the VM and didn't need the ability to edit the virtual hardware, or create additional VM's on their systems. They would still have all the normal rights you get with any other VM you're running, or Windows system since that's what it is. It all depends on which groups they are in. You'll want to do the normal things, like change it's name and place it onto the domain, just like rolling out a new physical system...

This option reduces/eliminates needing to run 16 VM's on the ESX/ESXi host just for end users. Plus, reduces (or eliminates) the additional network load to the host server(s) that 16 people hammering away on those VM's will produce. Not to mention freeing up resources for other, mission important/critical, VM servers to be hosted...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos