Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX Serverconfiguaration

Hi,

I need to build a new ESX Farm with below requirement:

10 physical servers to be converted in Virtual servers;

Configuration for each Physical servers:

RAM:4GB (Same required for VM as considering the max utlisation)

CPU:3.0 Ghz (Same required for VM as considering the max utlisation)

disk:250 GB (Same required for VM as considering the max utlisation)

10 physical servers will be devided in two esx servers so that we can use vmotion,HA and DRS.

Also there will one Vcenter server.

Can someone suggest me ESX server harware config.

Which server, how much speed and how many processor:

I am really confused with number of processor and no of cores...what is the relation between them.

If there is a CPU with speed of 3 ghz with 2 cores, does this means that it will provide maximum speed of 2X3ghz(6ghz)

If we see about the future aspects: there can be another 10 server with the same configuration.

Based on the above requirement can someone suggest a best server configuration.

Thanks,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know how many hosts you will be adding? You should probably consider more RAM. 32 doesn't cover you if you were to run your current 10 on a single host. Unless there is something extraordinary about your current servers you might want to consider 2 processor servers rather than 4. Consider talking to a local VMware expert for help sizing your infrastructure.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
dburgess
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Couple of questions in here - without going to specific brands of servers any modern server is in most cases going to be able to easily cope with 5 VM's of the spec you describe. It does really depend though on the workload that the current servers are under. Do you have any data on this, cpu usage, disk i/o and network are the first parameters to look at. Basic system monitoring tools should give you some ideas in this area. To give you some idea we normally see between 4 and 6 VM's per core. So on a modern server you may easily see 30-40 VM's of typical workload profile.

Your cores question is more straightforward: In the old days CPU == cores, lets say each CPU is one engine and can do one thing at once ignoring things like pipelining etc. In this older model every chip essentially has one engine.

More recently the processor vendors have not been pushing clock speed up but putting more 'cores' on the same peice of silicon. So now each chip really has multiple CPU's or engines, this is confusing as some people refer to the CPU as the physical device that you buy from AMD or Intel. To get around this terminology problem we tend to refer to the physical device as either a 'package' or 'socket' to empasise we are talking about the phsyical device you plug in to the motherboard. So your old two CPU server has two physical locations where you can install 'processors'. These days each processor will have multiple cores/engines 2,4,6,8 etc. So your old 2 CPU box could have 16 cores or engines at its desposal.

Now couple of thinks about your question:

Lets say you have a modern 2.8 GHz (multi-core) processor and your comparing against an older 3.2 GHz proc (single core)

Firstly one of the 2.8GHz 'cores' is the doing the same function as your entire 3.2 GHz processor, you might have say four cores in the newer device.

Secondly you cannot make a a direct comparasion between a modern 2.8GHz processor and a 3.2 GHz processor from 3 years ago: they are worlds apart in their performance, even if you say you are only using 1/4 of the modern part.

Lastly the performance of multi-core cpu's cannot be aggregated in the way you say - 2 cores x 3GHz may not be equivalent to 6GHz. Depending on your application it may only give you 3GHz or it may approach 6GHz if your application is very scalable, in most cases it wont be.

Phokay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Think about it as if you are going to build an apartment building and its foundation. Typically you would start with calculating the weights of people/funitures/partitions etc and build the foundation accordingly.

Likewise, in virtualisation, you need to know the workload of every single virutual machine you are going to put on the ESX server and then you can work out the specification of the ESX server accordingly.

With this in mind, can I suggest to start with running a VMware's capacity planner in your environment over 4-6 weeks? Most VMware's partners have access to VMware's Capacity Planner tool. It will give you the profile/workload of your physical machine and will calculate target ESX servers specification for you.

0 Kudos
Abhare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Friends,

I have finally chossen the ESX Hardware.

could u all please review this and suggest for any correction.I will have two server with below config.

Manufacturer HP

Model Proliant DL580 G7

Processor properties

Number: IntelXeon processor X7560

Cores per processor : 8

Speed :2.26 ghz

L3 Cache: 24MB

Hyperthreding: Yes

Number of processor 4

Memory 32 GB

HBA Card 1 If we are going for SAN Switch, 2 HBA cards required ( a question here normally how many HBA CARD Comes with server by default)

Network Cards 8 (Service console + Vmotion ) -- 2, (Backup VLAN )-- 2, (Production) --4 ( a question here normally how many NIC Comes with server by default )

HDD (Hard disk) 2 X 146 GB : for ESX installlation ( Is this correct ?)

ILO License : 1

Also give some understanding on ESX licensing.

To my knowledge ESX license are required per CPU.

Means if i have 2 processor in each ESX, I will require 2 ESX licenses per ESX.

Does number of cores in CPU Affects number of licenses required?

How does other licenses work ( like for vmotion, HA , DRS).

Also whats things should we keep in mind before purchasing any hardware( hp server in my case) anf software( esx )

Please give ur valuable suggesions;

regards,

Abhi

0 Kudos
dburgess
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You only require a license for each socket or processor. It does not matter how many cores it has, unless it has more than 6. In that case you may to make sure the edition you are using is correct - they all support at least 6.

Sent from mobile... dB

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does number of cores in CPU Affects number of licenses required?

Yes, but licensing is PER SOCKET not PER CORE. So make sure you get a 12 Core license (since you have 8 cores per socket).

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can compare versions and capabilities http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/vsphere_purchaseoptions.html

Phokay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are a number of editions in ESX licensing.

I have attached the VMware pricing file.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know how many hosts you will be adding? You should probably consider more RAM. 32 doesn't cover you if you were to run your current 10 on a single host. Unless there is something extraordinary about your current servers you might want to consider 2 processor servers rather than 4. Consider talking to a local VMware expert for help sizing your infrastructure.

0 Kudos
Abhare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

as I have two ESX servers i will have total of 64 gb RAM.(32X2). I think thats more than enough.

0 Kudos
Phokay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What if one of your hosts fail? Can one server handle all the VMs you are going to run?

0 Kudos
Phokay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Regarding vCenter features, you don't need DRS since you only have 2 ESX hosts. But you should buy HA and VMotion in case if you have to take one host down for maintenance purpose.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your current physical machines use 4GB and you have 10 servers that totals 40GB. You talked about HA and DRS as part of your plan and if the 10 Virtual Servers were moved to a single ESXi host ie during maintenance or a failure you might end up starved for RAM. You might want to consider 3 - 2 processor servers rather than 2 - 4 processor servers. It is much easier to perform maintenance, DRS, HA etc when you can spread the load across more hosts. Have a look at one of the Acceleration Kits that include vCenter.

0 Kudos