VMware Cloud Community
flya759
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Host Not Responding, but VM's still running.??

I tried to reconnect the Host , but it errored with Cannot Not Find Specific Host?  Then gives me a Re-Add Host to inventory option?

I suppose I could re-add the host to inventory?  Is that the next step?  Why would it not be responding?  the Vcenter server cannot find the host?

There are no network issues and DNS is fine..???

0 Kudos
20 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, there's got to be an issue. Did you already check the ESXi host's and the vCenter Server's log files for errors?

Can you also provide some details? When does the host disconnect. Is it sporadically or shortly after reconnecting, ...? How did you setup your virtual network and the uplinks ports on the physical switch.

André

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi

Can you ping the ESX host? does it respond?

Can you open a browser session to it?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It might be that the ESX is still up and running, but your VC might have lost the dns lookup of your esx host, it may be due to gateway changed or name VC not reflecting on your name server's ip

0 Kudos
flya759
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can still ping the ESX host.

There has been no DNS changes?  No Network Changes??

Could the Host just be in LaLa Land?

I do have an option to re-add the Host back into Inventory? using a wizard?

I could down the VM's? and restart the Host?

0 Kudos
flya759
Contributor
Contributor

Could this just be a HOST services issues?  And a restart of the host is needed?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

This has happened to me a few times, but in all cases, there were issues with the storage.  Can you connect through the troubleshooting console?  If you can log in, you may be able to check a few things, if you can't even get that far, then you're stuck with having to restart the host, but there are ways to limit vm downtime in that case.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

Hi,

How often you are facing this issue.

I would suggest re add the host to vcenter as you are getting the wizard to re add it.

Check the ESX & vcenter logs.

restart ESX management service if reqired.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
flya759
Contributor
Contributor

This is the first time this has happened....It sure seems to appear to be a management services issue.

Can anyone direct me to a link that lists the commands to restart the Host mgmt services?

The consultants that installed this system did not leave us with much documentation and I don't seem to have the root password for the Hosts?

I'm not opposed to just restarting the Host to restart the mgmt services?

I am new to VMWARE and am learning.. soon I will be an expert where I can help others in this forum.. but for now.. I'm flying a little blind.  Thanks for the help guys..

0 Kudos
flya759
Contributor
Contributor

I do have an error message when viewing the datastores... The local storage of my ESX host shows inactive?  This may be due to the mgmt services being in LaLa Land?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In your esx, check , /etc/init.d/vpxa status. Try to start the same and also check /var/log/vpxa/vpxa.log if the service is not started

0 Kudos
flya759
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have the password for the root user.. so I can't check anything... actually I don't even get a login for the HOST.. .I immediately get connection closed error when I try to SSH into the Host...

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

without the root login/dcui access then its going to be difficult to do a great deal. Can you view the log? ALT-12 at the console. Shouldnt need to log in to do that. 

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
flya759
Contributor
Contributor

Amen to that brother.. not root login is making this difficult.. the consultants did a crappy job of documentation for sure...

I keep asking them for the passwords.. I get responses but never the correct passwords.. frustrating as heck!

I'm @ the point where I may need to just restart the ESX Host?  Should I down the VM's first?  Will I need to?

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

HI,

What is the version of ESX?

Try this if you want to recover root password. Host reboot required.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=131789...

http://www.petri.co.il/vmware-esx-server-root-password-reset-recovery-lost.htm

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Yes, you would need to shut down any VMs running on that host. At this point that may be your best bet if you can get the window to do it. To be honest, if you can't access the host, and one of those VMs develops a problem then you may end up having to do that anyway.

You could really do with having that root password of course! 

0 Kudos
flya759
Contributor
Contributor

I have the root password now....that's a relief...;)

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Without the root password, and with ssh not working, the best you can do, is to go into the virtual machines, shut them down, and then add them to inventory of another host, after removing from current host (if possible),and then power them on.

Otherwise, you are basically going to initiate an HA event by powering off/on the host itself.

-KjB

0 Kudos
flya759
Contributor
Contributor

The VM's show disconnected... I can't seem to do anything with them...?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The only way to shut them down is to log in to the vm directly, and shutdown from within the OS.

If you have root password, log in to the console, and try to run 'vim-cmd vmscvs/getallvms'  That should list all running vm's if your host is somewhat responsive.  If not, do an 'ls /vmfs/volumes', that should list your datastores.  If that doesn't come back, then you're definitely having storage issues.  If they get resolved, the host should respond normally, but you may have to restart if it does not.  You should see errors stating that there are problems with storage in /var/log/vmkernel.log

-KjB

0 Kudos