VMware Cloud Community
ScottCanale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX/ESXi evaluation mode

I'm studying for my VCP exam and just had a quick question about how evaluation mode works. I understand that it lasts for 60 days. And my understanding is that for both versions all features will be unlocked just like you had Enterprise Plus licensing. And I know that you can use ESXi for free even after the evaluation mode runs out, although you won't have access to any of the features.

So I have a few questions:

1. Does this behavior work for ESX as well? For some reason I thought that ESX will just stop working after the 60 days, but can't find any documentation to prove or disprove that.

2. Is this licensing version of considered Essentials, or is it even below that?

3. Can you manage the hosts running the free version of ESXi with vCenter after the evaluation is up? Obviously the features wouldn't work, but I just wondered if you could have multipe ESXi hosts managed by Vcenter runnng in the free mode?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1.) You can evaluate ESXi as well as ESX and vCenter Server for 60 days. After this time you will not be able to manage objects in vCenter Server or power on VMs unless you add a valid license key. A free license is only available for ESXi.

2.) The free license has less features as Essentials. It is named "Hypervisor" on the VMware web pages.

3.) The free ESXi (Hypervisor) cannot be managed in vCenter Server.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1.) You can evaluate ESXi as well as ESX and vCenter Server for 60 days. After this time you will not be able to manage objects in vCenter Server or power on VMs unless you add a valid license key. A free license is only available for ESXi.

2.) The free license has less features as Essentials. It is named "Hypervisor" on the VMware web pages.

3.) The free ESXi (Hypervisor) cannot be managed in vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1) ESX and ESXi both work the same way during the eval and after.  After the eval is ended, you will not be able to create or start new VMs.  However, you can get a free license for ESXi that will restore the abilty to create/start VMs.

2) The eval license is equavalent to Enterprise+

3) No.  After the eval is up, you wont be able to manage an expired ESXi nor a free-license ESXi with vCenter.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
ScottCanale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect, thanks!

0 Kudos
ScottCanale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I meant to say, "What is the free version of ESXi" called in terms of licensing? Not the full evaluation mode. I worded the question poorly but it was answered. Thanks both of you.

0 Kudos
andrewmundon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm new to the virtualization world. If I can't manage the free esxi in vcenter, what should I be using?

0 Kudos