VMware Cloud Community
Kirizan
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Centralized Logging

Hello all,

I have seen several places that log files can be forwarded to a syslog server, and I know it's configure in the /etc/syslog.conf file, but does anyone know of a good guide on how to set that up? I have found how to forward on RHEL, so I know the process will be similar, but I am wondering what ESX specific options there are. For example, can I forward Virtual Machine log files (the ones created by the vmkernal, not guest os log files) using syslog, or is there another option to forward those log files? Thank you in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kac2
Expert
Expert

you can also use vMA to centralize all of your logging.

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vima/

0 Kudos
Kirizan
Contributor
Contributor

That sounds like it should work, but the problem is I'm not alloud to add VM's this this environment. The only VM I have is the vCenter VM, and there are a few environments where that won't even be running. Is there a way to do it from the service consol without 3rd party tools or virtual appliances? Like I said, it seems that syslog should be able to do it, I just don't know how to use syslog for that, and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction at least. Thank you again for the help.

0 Kudos