VMware Cloud Community
grabirfan1
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 6.0 virtual machine creation may fail because agent is unable to retrieve VM creation options from the host

Hello Everyone, i am getting the error "virtual machine creation may fail because agent is unable to retrieve VM creation options from the host" while trying to perform the following actions on vSphere client connected to 3 Hosts ESX 6.0 Cluster, 1) Enable FT for a VM 2) Migrate the VM using vMotion. Ran the site survey and it points to storage and disk errors. Any help or pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you connect to the ESXi host directly?

If you are seeing storage issues, I suggest checking the vmkernel or vmkwarning log to check if there is any hostd unresponsive messages on that specific host

Is FT enabled on the VM?

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
grabirfan1
Contributor
Contributor

Can you connect to the ESXi host directly?

No i am not able to connect to Host directly, getting an message saying Administrator has disabled direct access.

If you are seeing storage issues, I suggest checking the vmkernel or vmkwarning log to check if there is any hostd unresponsive messages on that specific host

Sure

Is FT enabled on the VM? FT is not enabled on the VM, when i try to enable the same it gets stucks in 28% and the Host disconnects from vCenter.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you cannot connect to the connect with "Administrator has disabled direct access"  I suspect lockdown mode is enabled on the ESXi host.

VMware Knowledge Base

"Authentication denied. Direct console access has been disabled by the administrator" error when log...

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
grabirfan1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks msripada for the reply, once i restarted the ESXi host the direct console access was enabled and i a...

The issue is when i try to enable FT the progress bar gets stuck in 28% always and i get the error "virtual machine creation may fail because agent is unable to retrieve VM creation options from the host'.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello

Thank you for the update. Can you check on that ESXi host hostd.log what is appearing on that or check vmkernel if there are issues with storage.

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos