VMware Cloud Community
brysonjk
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 5 network drops randomly

I have a new Dell PE R810 that we have deployed ESX on.  It is version 5.0.  The reason I am using 5.0 is because there was not a hard lock on the maximum physical memory. 

Server specs...

4 x 2.0GHz 8c e7-4820 XEON
256 GB of RAM. 

4 x 500Gb HDD (Raid 5) using PERC

Two Dual-Port Broadcom® 5709c gigabit NICs integrated on Motherboard.

2 port 10G board ( I can't remember the specs on this one, but it is totally unused)

2 single port intel network cards (added in case they were needed for troubleshooting)

My problem is that about two times a week, or so (randomly), I start losing network connectivity to the server.  The switch doesn't seem to show anything, but the event log on the ESX server starts to show that it vmnic0, and vSwitch 0 are down, and then back up.  The message is "Lost network connectivity on virtual switch "vSwitch0", Physical NIC vmnic 0 is down." and then a random time later (seconds to minutes) I get the message telling me it is back up. This will continue usually until the server is rebooted.  I cannot see the logs for the network switches, because they are handled by our networking team.  I can see a summary of the switch port, and how many collision, dropped packets, etc..., but nothing looks bad there.

I thought that it might be the 1G network port it was originally plugged into, off the Cisco switches we have here, so I switched it to a 100Mb, connection Cisco as well, and the problem returned.  I am going to try and move it to one of the Intel cards I installed in the server later today, to see if that works better.  If it does, then I can assume that either my broadcom network cards have a problem.  In which case I will have to have Dell take care of it. 

This is currently used for a Pilot course where there are only 15 VM running, 12 - Ubuntu, 2 PFsense, and 1 - MS Server 2003.  So the server is totally under worked. 

Any ideas on test or information, that can help me diagnose this problem?  Are there any know issues with the broadcom cards?  I can post logs is somone asks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Jeremy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi  brysonjk

Welcome to forum.

I will suggest first update NIC driver & add-on tools .

If still there you may disable one NIC for testing purpose only.

"a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step"
brysonjk
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry forgot to add that I am pretty new to ESX.  I have installed the new drivers for the NIC, well at least the ones off the VMware website for 5.0.  Are there newer ones I should be looking at?  What add-on tools are you referring to?

Also, the 10G card is a Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM57711.  But as I said, it isn't used.

Thanks
Jeremy

0 Kudos
brysonjk
Contributor
Contributor

Turned out to be a bad NIC cable.  Stupid me for not checking that first. 

0 Kudos