VMware Cloud Community
seyamak123
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 5.5 asking for password and I don't have it.

I installed the ESXi 5.5 that has the HP image Update 3 and it is asking me for login credentials and I am not sure what it is. I have tried,

login: root

passwd: password

But it did not work. I also used the blank password and it did not work. The software is installed and I was about to reboot. Can someone help me please?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

the password you entered for the "root" account is the one you entered (twice) during installation right after the keyboard language selection.

André

0 Kudos
MKBA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As per KB the only way to recover from forgot password is to reinstall the OS

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=131789...

But below article might help you,you need to boot with linux live cd & edit /etc/shadow

How to recover VMware ESXi root password ? - UnixArena

0 Kudos
MRoushdy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

where are .you exactly being asked for a username and a password?

hat

if it's on the direct console screen, I mean if you are connecting directly to the server via a KVM or by plugging a keyboard and a screen, and you see that orange/black screen, you should enter "root" as the username, and the password that you've specified in the installation process of ESXi.

if you are trying to connect to the server via the vSphere client (the desktop client program), you should also enter the same credentials as in step one.

vEXPERT - VCAP-DCV - Blog: arabitnetwork.com | YouTube: youtube.com/c/MohamedRoushdy
0 Kudos
seyamak123
Contributor
Contributor

I am being asked about the root password as I am directly logging through by plugging a keyboard and monitor to it. I do not recall to give any username and password. However, it is possible that the system may have previously had a ESXi installed on it and it is using a previous credentials. If that is the case, then I will try to capture the old credential from people around here and will inform you about my progress but if that is not the case, then as one of you mentioned, I will try to recover the password from Linux Live media CD by editing the shadow file. Thanks all for your quick reply. I will keep you informed about my progress.

0 Kudos
seyamak123
Contributor
Contributor

A little more update on this HP Proliant system. I have by passed the credentials issue. It turns out that ESXi 6.0 had originally been installed on this system, I used the old credentials and I was able to login. so as it turns out, I was not actually even installing anything. When I try to force the system to look at my USB, it shows a red screen with some memory or ROM errors with numbers. At this point, what I would like to do is to burn the ISO image for 5.5 ESXi to a blank CD and try to see if I can install the correct version of ESXi that I would need to this host and hope that the system can read the ISO image from the CD.

0 Kudos