VMware Cloud Community
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 4 to ESX 5

Hi,

We have 4 ESX server and 1 Vcenter Server. All on Update 4.

I want to introduce a ESX 5 Host into the cluster and vMotion a a few VM's from the ESX 4 host to the ESX 5 host.

The ESX 4 hardware is HP BL460 G1 servers and the ESX 5 hardware will be a BL460 G server.

Is this the process

1. Upgrade vcenter 4 (u4) to Vcenter 5 - i will still be able to manage the ESX 4 hosts
  2. Add the ESX 5 host in to the Cluster
  3. Switch off VM and vMotion to ESX 5 host.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

samuk wrote:

1. Upgrade vcenter 4 (u4) to Vcenter 5 - i will still be able to manage the ESX 4 hosts

If you want to do a live vmotion follow the below.

3. Make sure the ESXi5 host has all the Network setting configured like port groups etc as same in ESXi4 or the VM might not communitcate out side.

4. Present the LUN that are presented to ESXi4 to ESXi5 newly added server and do a live vMotion.

or

5. Present the New LUN presented to ESXi5 to ESXi4 and do a storage vmotion first and followed by a vmotion to ESXi5.

If you want to do a offline vmotion follow the below

4. shut down the VM and right click, select migrate and select host and datastore. migrate the VM.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

the above procedure is correct, 3 step is applicable only if the underlying CPU's are different. incase if they are of same familiy there is no need to poweroff the VM's you can migrate the VM's on the fly.

Further you can refer to belwo KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2005102

Regards

Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

samuk wrote:

If you want to do a live vmotion follow the below.

3. Make sure the ESXi5 host has all the Network setting configured like port groups etc as same in ESXi4 or the VM might not communitcate out side.

4. Present the LUN that are presented to ESXi4 to ESXi5 newly added server and do a live vMotion.

or

5. Present the New LUN presented to ESXi5 to ESXi4 and do a storage vmotion first and followed by a vmotion to ESXi5.

If you want to do a offline vmotion follow the below

4. shut down the VM and right click, select migrate and select host and datastore. migrate the VM.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos