VMware Cloud Community
Garrett_M_
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4 and HP Insight Agents, SIM Agents, external storage

I've loaded the HP SIM agents on server ESX 4 servers. A DL785 G5 and two DL585 G1 servers.

HP Management Agents for ESX 4 - version 8.25

Of course no external storage adapters are visible.

I picked up the Emulex and HP Rubah libraries at:

It is listed as the Applications Kit.

So you basically end up with three files to load:

hpmgmt-8.2.5-vmware4x.tgz - Management Agents

elxvmwarecorekit-esx40-4.0a44-1.x86_64.rpm - Emulex Corekit for ESX 4

em_cpq9_vmware.tar.gz - HP Rubah library

Like I said I loaded the hp management agents 8.2.5 no problem. The System Management Homepage works fine.

However when I loaded the emulex core kit rpm I received a conflict with the emulex-cim-provider-400.2.0.22.1-140815 package.

I had to do a /force on the emulex core kit package to overlay conflicting files. The Rubah library was just copied to the

appropriate directory.

At this point I am still unable to see any external storage. :smileyangry: The HBAs are on the HCL for ESX 4 and are supported by the corekit.

Question: Has anyone gotten this to actually work?

Any 'insight' on this is appreciated.

Deja vu?

I've been here before

Regards,

Garrett

0 Kudos
16 Replies
adamy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Click on the "file system space used" and you should see the disks.

0 Kudos
Garrett_M_
Contributor
Contributor

I am aware of the file system space used page.

I would like to see the controllers, physical drive, logical drive health stats, just like you can see them for locally attached storage.

0 Kudos
adamy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don’t think seeing the physical and logical drive health is possible.

This is not presented to the ESX host. It is also not presented to a Windows or HPUX host for that matter.

On a SAN these things are abstracted from the OS.

A drive failure on a SAN is dealt with using the SAN monitoring tools. Hopefully a Hot spare is used on the Array and the Host OS is unaware.

However installing the Emulex integration stuff you should be able to see the HBAs status of "Green or Red" and get the WWNs. Don't expect much more than that.

0 Kudos
Garrett_M_
Contributor
Contributor

Correct you are for SAN storage, however on the HP DL585 G1 servers, I have a scsi attached MSA500G2. When this configuration was running under ESX 3.5 I could see the HBA, the controller the HBA was connected to, the physical drives, and logical drives, all displayed on the SMH. Like you say though I could only see the actual HBA - LP9802 on the SAN attached storage, however, I 'm not even getting that now.

Garrett

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Garret,

you wrote that you install HPManagement Agents. Do you see server information on Homepage?

I have problems like in this thread http://communities.vmware.com/thread/223293?start=0&tstart=0.

Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
CIE1
Contributor
Contributor

Garrett -

Did you get the external storage part working. I can see everything else and usually load the Emluex part to see the HBA, but have not done so yet.

0 Kudos
Garrett_M_
Contributor
Contributor

So far I am unable to see the hba devices on the SMH. I've already loaded the Emulex core kit and HP Rubah library provided on the Emulex site. Everything else appears to be working properly. NIC info, system info, integrate system log, etc.. all working.

0 Kudos
Garrett_M_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Roc.ker, I initially ran into that issue as well... nothing on the SMH. It was just due to an unconfigured snmp.conf file. Once the snmp,conf was configured with the proper access parameters infomation was displayed in the SMH. However the fiber channel HBAs are still not being displayed even though the emulex corekit and rubah libraries have been loaded.

So I'm still digging on that one

0 Kudos
adamy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

look through the threads for my snmp.conf and customize it to your needs

0 Kudos
CIE1
Contributor
Contributor

snmp.conf file configured. this is not unique to esx4, I have to load the emulex part for every upgrade to see the hba.

garrett, I'll look into it as well, but if you figure it out first let me know!

0 Kudos
Garrett_M_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Adamy, Are you able to see fiber channel HBA devices list on the SMH?

0 Kudos
adamy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, but I am connected to a SAN array. You will not see anything beyond the HBA information.

If you are connected to a MSA or other smaller "SAN" array via SCSI them you might have to install something more specific to that device.

0 Kudos
Garrett_M_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Adamy,

Wow! So this is working for you on ESX 4? What HBAs are you using? I have LP9802, LP9000, and LPe11000 HBAs. All supported by the the Emulex core kit but none of these is displayed in SMH. Not even under an HP rebranded name.

The LP9802 and LP9000 are fiber channel HBAs connected to an HP MSA2212FC drive array. The LPe11000 is a fiber channel HBA connected to an EMC SAN. None of these hbas are showing up in the SMH.

Have you loaded the Emulex corekit and HP Rubah libraries? Did you get a conflict when loading the core kit?

Regards,

Garrett

0 Kudos
CIE1
Contributor
Contributor

Garrett - did you ever get this resolved?

0 Kudos
Garrett_M_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi CIE1,

Unfortunately no, I have not resovled this yet... I was hoping to hear from Adamy as his last post inferred that he had this working. How about you? After loading the Emulex Core-kit and HP Rubah libraries are you able to see the storage HBAs in the server?

I basically got blown off from Emulex support - tech said go talk to HP as Rubah is their library. Although, I don't think that is really the case. The library is only available on teh Emulex site. I wanted them to test it to actually see if storage HBA are displayed. We were using the Insight Agents to send SNMP traps concerning drive status in the MSA500G2 units. We are unable to do that now.

Currently, I just going ahead without the core kit or rubah because we need the other info that the agents provide as well.

Regards,

Garrett

0 Kudos