VMware Cloud Community
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 4 Network Connection

I just the set up the new ESX 4 Host. During the installation, I did not assign IP address for it. After finishing installation, I go the service console to assign the ip address. However, even that the ip address is configured, the host still could not reach other servers.Please kindly refer to the pics.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you do not assign an IP address I believe the installer will default to DHCP - can you ping the gateway address 172.22.3.255 form the service console?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not working. BTW, why the default gateway is 172.22.3.255. Why not 172.22.3.254

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

could be an issue with the configuration of your DHCP server - form the console you can use the esxcfg-vswif comment to reconfigure your IP address and disable DHCP for the service console port -

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am a freshman, do you have the command as reference for me?

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried the command as below:

esxcfg-vswif -i 172.22.3.203 -n 255.255.255.0 vswif0

It does not work either.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

this migh help - step by step instructions on how to change I and gateway - it is for 3.5 but is still true for vSphere -

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

esxcfg-vswif -a vswif0 -p Service\ Console -i 172.22.3.203 -n 255.255.255.0

The error msg: "Error trying to perform operation Vswif with that name already exists"

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

just check ur network connection

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have already fixed the it by myself. The network connection is good at this moment. I can ping successfully to my ESX Host. However, I could not access the VI client web page.

I have already tried the command as below:

service network restart

service vmware-webAccess restart

But it does not work.

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Who can help me solve the problem?

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

try to restart vmware -vpxa service ...

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

reboot the host not working

My version is ESX4-Build 171294

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You're using a VLAN ID tag of 4 for the Service console... Is this VLAN ID valid?

You might want to check the physical switch port to verify that this ID is allowed etc..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

then download vi client by accesing ip and connect it to that

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, at this moment, the networking is good. I configure the SW port in the trunk mode. I already delete the VLAN ID for Service Console. Therefore, the networking is ok now. But I could not access the VI Client Web Page. BTW, I could not access the host with VI Client as well.

0 Kudos
adadan
Contributor
Contributor

Start vmware-webAccess service . The service is not work in default.

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Done before, not working

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

it has to work pl give ur exact problem, something to do with network just double check it

0 Kudos
winshenting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am so frustrated. Could some one tell me what kinds of information I need to configure on the Switcher? At this moment, I only configure the port to be the Trunk. Is there anything else I should do?

0 Kudos