VMware Cloud Community
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4 Install power cycling

Hi,

I have an issue installing ESX 4 in both GUI and text mode, basically it gets so far and then power cycles. I belive all the hardware is supported as per the HCL but would unsupported hardwear cause the issue as described?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Either unsupported or deffective. Can you provithe the harware specification and the ESX version you are trying to install?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

Specs as follows:

Motherboard: SPCIE-5100DX

Bios: AMI

Processor: 2 x Intel Xeon L5410 @ 2.33 GHz

Memory: 32GB 4 X 8GB Kingston

Network: 82574L Gigabit Network Connection x 2

82571EB Gigabit Network Connection x 4

RAID: 80801 SATA RAID Controller

Disks: 4 x Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drives

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sounds like a hardware issue either way to me. Perhaps take out any PCI cards if there are any during the install, or could also be a bad memory module? to check that you could run memory diagnostics on it. You may also want to verify the DVD your installing it from to make sure you didn't get a corrupted install disk from a corrupted download.

MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert

you might want to post the error you are getting right before it cycles.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

No error it appears to be installing as normal gets past selecting either a GUI or text install it does some initialisation stuff and then dies.

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

I have re-dowloaded and burnt the media same issue interestingly if I break the RAID the install gets a little further.

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

do you have a non-ssd drive? i wonder if you could try that.

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried same issue, any more ideas?

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Memory issue? could you try and run a memory diagnostic?

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

Already fully tested, I think the issue is the RAID controller an Intel ICH9R.

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

I have modified the installation to have only one disk but I still get the same issue, would this point to somthig other than the controller or would a single disk be presented in the same way as RAID?

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

After adding an Adaptec 3405 that is supported as per the HCL I get the same issues, I have now checked each component and they are supported, why is this issue still occurring?

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone??

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry, wish I could be more help. Is this a HP, Dell, or IBM? If so, you may want to put in a call with them to see if there is anything else they can suggest? I have also seen a weird case with IBM systems with the second network daughter card that is on the x3650 m2 causing an NMI where that causes it to reboot unexpectedly and they had a workaround for that by installing some additional clips to secure it.

Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

Memory issue, of unknown origin basically if I remove 16GB the system works as normal I have tested this using all the DIMMS and different slots so it isn't a faulty module or motherboard and the card supports a maximum of 32GB, there are no BIOS upgrades available. Interestingly the BIOS doesn't have any settings related to virtualization.

Does anyone know what the installation routine is doing in relation to RAM tests etc??

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nice! at least we know its something with memory.

The install isn't doing anything but reading/writing to memory so it was hitting a spot in memory that the hardware didn't like and it rebooted. There are a bunch of utilities out there to do memory testing so you may want to do that. Something like this perhaps: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

0 Kudos