VMware Cloud Community
issamneo
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4 CPU Ressources unlimited for a VM what does it mean?

Hi all,

i have an ESX with 32 CPU Core. for my VM i give 4 core ( i can't give more coz license problem) so in edit settings ==> Ressources ==> CPU

i reserve the maximum of ressources. and for limit i check  Unlimited.

my VM need more CPU resources, since i check unlimited and i have enough CPU free on the ESX my VM will use more than the 4 CPU or not?

Sans titre.png

thanks for all.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi,

It can't use more than what it is configured to use. If you needed more cpu then you would need to configure your virtual machine with more vcpu's.

The unlimited just means that there are no cpu limits applied to that virtual machine.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert

Hi,

No it should use look to use the 4 vCPU's you assigned and no more. It basically refers to the upper limit

from resource management guide:

"

Limit specifies an upper bound for CPU, memory, or storage I/O resources that can be allocated to a virtual
machine.

A server can allocate more than the reservation to a virtual machine, but never allocates more than the limit,
even if there are unused resources on the system. The limit is expressed in concrete units (megahertz,
megabytes, or I/O operations per second).

CPU, memory, and storage I/O resource limits default to unlimited. When the memory limit is unlimited, the
amount of memory configured for the virtual machine when it was created becomes its effective limit."

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
issamneo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos