VMware Cloud Community
adrianmarsh
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.1 as a VM Client

Hi All,

I need to experiment (and learn) how to use APC Powerchute network shutdowns, against my VMWare Physical hosts.

Aim is to:

- Use the network card in the UPS to initiate the graeful shutdown to the hosts

- Then have the hosts gracefully shutdown the VMs.

So I thought 'why not install ESX into a VM itself to play with', as I was told on my training course a few months ago 'should be possible'...

That way I could practice without endangering the production environment, and no extra costs.

At this stage I'm not trying to do anything fancy. No sub-VMs or anything... just trying to get ESX installed.

I've given the VM (TEST-HOST1)  2 NICs. And the install of ESX4.1 went ok.  However, although the vswif0 interface gets issued an IP from our DHCP server, for some reason I can't ping that IP from our LAN, nor does any traffic get in or out of the VM.

Looking at the TEST-HOST1 VM, theres no default route getting defined.

Both NICs are configured for the same LAN within the real physical hosts.

The SC is obviously able to talk to that LAN as it gets an IP issued by DHCP.

iptables shows that ICMP should be allowed (default), and I've tried disabling iptables to allow all traffic.

Even if theres no default route, I should still be able to ping TEST-HOST1.

Any ideas ?  On a previous build I did try to install VMware tools, but obviously theres no GCC, so I can't build the network drivers, and it doesn't look like its needed anyway.

Obviously I've missed something, but not sure what.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
adrianmarsh
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to add - I've now also tried a rebuild with a static IP for the SC interface.  Same result, I can't reach the SC from the external LAN.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You may need to put the vSwitch into promiscuous mode.  See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004099.

0 Kudos
adrianmarsh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

Any reason behind why that is ? (mainly for my own understanding)...

If it can get DHCP (when thats on), then its able to use non-promiscious portgroup...

Thats controlled at the v-portgroup level anyway right? So I suppose I could just create a new portgroup on the same vSwitch, but turn promiscuous on for just that group.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure that promiscuous mode will fix your problems, but typically you would enable promiscuous mode for your ESX VMs so that you can run nested VMs.  (Promiscuous mode is required for nesting because the nested VMs will have unique MAC addresses different from those of the ESX VM.)  So, I'm just guessing that it may help in your situation.

And, yes, you can enable promiscuous mode by portgroup.

0 Kudos