VMware Cloud Community
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 4.1 , VM Server2003 SQL2005 Memory problem

In setting up a Server2003 Std SQL2005 Std vm, even though /PAE /3GB in the boot.ini does not let the server see the 6GB RAM assigned even though the host has 32GB physically to use,

So I wondering if the boot.ini settings don't work in a vm, the hardware and lastly ESX has something to do with the vm not seeing the 6GB assigned.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So, PAE will allow more than 4 GB of RAM on a 32-bit system, but there are OS limits still in play.  The link I posted above states Windows 2003 Standard has a 4 GB limit, even with PAE enabled.

If you have a copy of enterprise, I'd suggest trying to use that to validate the vm configuration is correct.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From what I recall, you're limited to 4 GB in Standard.  What does the system properties show you as the memory installed on the windows machines?

Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition memory limit is 4 GB for 32 bit with PAE.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487503

0 Kudos
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PAE is supposed to allow access to more than 4GB on STD.

So if that is correct than the not seeing must be somewhere else.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What are you seeing for memory in the system properties and msinfo32?

-KjB

0 Kudos
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ms32info

Total Physical Memory    4,095.70 MB
Available Physical Memory    631.59 MB
Total Virtual Memory    7.84 GB
Available Virtual Memory    4.50 GB
Page File Space    4.00 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

the system shows PAE  but 4GB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So, PAE will allow more than 4 GB of RAM on a 32-bit system, but there are OS limits still in play.  The link I posted above states Windows 2003 Standard has a 4 GB limit, even with PAE enabled.

If you have a copy of enterprise, I'd suggest trying to use that to validate the vm configuration is correct.

-KjB

0 Kudos
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I guess I'll the senior analyst the info provide about Server 2003 Std and RAM is incorrect.

I do not have ENT. but I do have a similar setup that is physical and I can test hte settings there.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, STD is limited to 4GB, see Memory Limits for Windows Releases for further limits.

Regarding your setup, I'd recommend you do a proper disk alignment for the OS (Windows 2003 will default to 31.5kB/63 sectors) and format the data/SQL partition with a 64kB NTFS cluster size.

André