VMware Cloud Community
cmeisinger
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.1 HA error on Host

I have an ESX 4.1 Cluster configured with 3 hosts and one is reporting an error on the summary tab it says "Configuraton Error...HA agent on "IP Address" in cluster...in datacenter...has an error : unknown HA error  This Host is configured with 1 VM and if we try to migrate another VM from another Host to this Host we get a couple errors when choosing the destination Host...  "Currently connected device 'CD/DVD Drive 1' uses backing '/dev/scd0', which is not accessible"   and the error "The host is reporting errors in it's attempt to provide HA support"  then we also get a warning "No guest OS heartbeats are being received.  Either the guest OS is not responding or VMware Tools is not configured correctly"      we are unable to migrate any VM's to this Host.  Any idea what these errors could be or what may be wrong with out HA?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the ESX 4 forum - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/server/vsphere/esx.

>> "Currently connected device 'CD/DVD Drive 1' uses backing '/dev/scd0', which is not accessible

Edit the VM you're trying to move and make sure that the virtual CD is not configured to use a host CD device

>> The host is reporting errors in it's attempt to provide HA support

Have you reviewed the IP configuration on the host - right subnet, gateways match the other host, etc.  Any problems pinging the hostnames?

cmeisinger
Contributor
Contributor

I compared the IP configs on all 3 hosts and they match up also I am able to ping all hosts any other ideas?

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

are you able to do "vmkping" to all the vmkernel ports on all the hosts, also check vmotion is enabled on all the hosts

Regards

cmeisinger
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure how to do a vmkping looks like something that needs to be done on the server console?  Yes vmotion is enabled on all hosts.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

yes it has to be done from service console

Regards

0 Kudos
cmeisinger
Contributor
Contributor

Well my coworker went ahead and just tried a reconfigured HA on all hosts and that seemed to clear up the error and we are now able to migrate machines to that host.  Thanks so much for the troubleshooting help!

0 Kudos