VMware Cloud Community
virtualhobbit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 4.1.0 Web Access Remote Console plugin for FF

Hi all,

I am trying to get the Web Access Remote Console plugin to work on Firefox 4.0.1 on Fedora 15.

The service is runningon the ESX host, and I can login in to the Web Access site without issue.  When I click on a VM, and then console, I get offered to install the plugin.  When I do, it asks to allow the plugin installation, and then throws up the following error:

The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on host.

The host is running ESX 4.1.0 build 348481.  There is no firewall between the two hosts as they are on the same subnet.

Does anyone know what I am missing?  I desperately need to get this working.

Many thanks,

-Mark

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check this.

Enable SSL2 in firefox

1. In a new tab type about:config in the address bar and press enter or open the about:config editor if you have the extension
  2. In the filter field enter security.enable_ssl2
  3. Double click the entry so the value is true
  4. Close the tab or about:config editor

If not work, you need update to firefox 5 or 6.

Nicolas Alfonso Sr Virtualization Architect ***Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.***
0 Kudos
virtualhobbit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work.  Under FF 3.6 it came back with a "connection timed out" error.

If I update to FF 6.0, it disables the extension.  If I try to re-add it, I get the same message.

I am gutted.  Why do VMware hate Linux users so much?

0 Kudos
PetersonK
Contributor
Contributor

I was just dealing with this on a newer version of Firefox and found a solution that might be of help. It's not that the plugin is incompatible, it's that the web client doesn't understand wrapped plugins. Do you have nspluginwrapper installed? If you, you may need to edit a config file.

Note: I'm using 64-bit RHEL 6, so interpolate as necessary.

I had to edit /etc/sysconfig/nspluginwrapper by adding ":np-vmware-vmrc*" to the end of the "export IGNORE_WRAP" line. This will cause firefox to symlink to the plugin directly rather than trying to wrap it. The line should look something like:

export IGNORE_WRAP="libtotem*:libjavaplugin*:gecko-mediaplayer*:mplayerplug-in*:librhythmbox*:packagekit*:libnsISpicec*:np-vmware-vmrc*"

Restart FF, connect to vCenter, and it *should* work. If it doesn't, you may need to remove the wrapped plugin (for me it was in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_64_64.np-vmware-vmrc-e.x.p-422570.so)

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
ventura10
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Centos 6.2 x86_64 / Firefox 2.6.36

Changes in IGNORE_WRAP didn't work for me.

To get it working I had to uninstall nsplugginwapper.

# yum remove nspluginwapper

Success! Now I can load my remote console via VCenter Web Access.

Cheers

0 Kudos