VMware Cloud Community
spookyneo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

[ESX 4.0 U2] Change Both Host and Datastore grayed out

Hi,

We have a VMware 4.0 U2 environment with 4 ESX hosts. We have 2 clusters with 2 hosts located in each cluster. Each cluster defines a physical building and both buildings are about 4KMs appart. Each building also has its own IBM DS3400 SAN. Until today, we were not able to do a Vmotion between clusters while the VM was running, because the hosts from Cluster A couldn't see the shared storage in Cluster B, and vice versa.

This morning, we plugged a Mono fiber so hosts from Cluster A are now able to see storage from Cluster B, and vice versa. All this works. I am able to do a storage Vmotion (using Change Datastore function) from Cluster A to Cluster B while the VM is running. I am also able to change host and select a host in a different Cluster. I can do both functions one after the other and make sure that the storage where the VM is located is in the same cluster/building that the host is running the VM. I want to avoid a host in Cluster B running a VM located on the shared storage of Cluster A, so if I could find a way to do all in 1 step, that would be best.

The function Change both host and datastore is greyed out. I would like to use that function to select the appropriate host in the other cluster as well as the appropriate datastore at the same time and avoid having to change host and then change datastore.

Of course, Vmotion is running fine and all hosts can see shared storage of all clusters. I don't understand why Change both host and datastore is still greyed out. We have a Nexus 1000v in place, if this makes a difference. All the VLANs are the same within both clusters. A VM will be able to Vmotion in another cluster with network reconfiguration.

Any clues ?

Thank you!

Guillaume.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately you can't. From VMware vMotion: Virtual Machine Live Migration

Storage vMotion Integration

VMware vSphere 5.1 and later versions combine standard vMotion with VMware vSphere® Storage vMotion® in a single migration. This means you can live-migrate an entire virtual machine between hosts, between clusters or between data centers— without disruption or shared storage between the involved hosts.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless I'm mistaken cross-host storage vMotion is only available with the Web-Client in vSphere 5.1 and newer. For older versions changing both host and datastore is only available for powered off VMs.

André

0 Kudos
spookyneo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Really ? That is odd. Cross-host Storage Vmotion is basically the same steps as Change Host + Change Datastore...or is it ? If I can do both one at a time, I was under the impression that I could do both in one step.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately you can't. From VMware vMotion: Virtual Machine Live Migration

Storage vMotion Integration

VMware vSphere 5.1 and later versions combine standard vMotion with VMware vSphere® Storage vMotion® in a single migration. This means you can live-migrate an entire virtual machine between hosts, between clusters or between data centers— without disruption or shared storage between the involved hosts.

André

0 Kudos
spookyneo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you André !

0 Kudos