VMware Cloud Community
microproc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 4.0 - Cannot start any VM ?

I have recently install ESX 4.0 in evalution mode. We have order for the licenses from our distributor which will take 3 to 4 days.

ESX 4 successfully installs on DL 360 G5 and i am using MSA 30 with 7 drives (1.6 TB total) as storage. it is detecting the local drives and 1.6 TB datastore perfectly. But when i am creating a simple VM and starting to read the OS from CD ROM it does not start. Is this because i am using in eval mode. As i think ESX 4 is active for 60 days and fully functional. When i start the VM it ends on the message 'Operating System not found' and not even booting from CD ROM. After couple of chaning configurations of VM i am still not able to figure it. Can any one tell me wherre i am doing wrong. In ESX 3.5 i have run the VM properly but in ESX 4 i am not sure. This is a new server and ESX 4.0 is also fresh install. Also i appreciate if somebody tells me a guide which shows step by step how to create a simple VM on ESX. I have not yet setup VC 4 as i have not received the licenses yet.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jintoa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please check the following things

1, "connect at power on" should be checked for the CDROM in the edit settings

2, Goto VM BIOS and check if CDROM is the first boot device.

3, Check the CDROM to boot a Physical machine

4, Check if you have connected the CDROM to a remote location.

Signature: Disclaimer: My postings are my own and don’t necessarily represent VMware’s positions, strategies or opinions. If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanx!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ESX is fully functional in evaluation mode. So that is no problem.

There is no change between 3.5 and 4.0 in the way VM's are installed: just create a new VM using the wizard, add an ISO cd image, (make sure you select "connect when powered on") and start the VM. If the ISO is any good, your VM should boot from the CD image and you should be able to install an OS in your VM. If you use a local CD drive, make sure to select it in the VM settings.

jintoa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please check the following things

1, "connect at power on" should be checked for the CDROM in the edit settings

2, Goto VM BIOS and check if CDROM is the first boot device.

3, Check the CDROM to boot a Physical machine

4, Check if you have connected the CDROM to a remote location.

Signature: Disclaimer: My postings are my own and don’t necessarily represent VMware’s positions, strategies or opinions. If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanx!
0 Kudos