I am waffling between two courses of action:

COA#1:

1. Perform a fresh install of ESXi 5.1 on new hardware
  2. Migrate the VMs from original host to new host
  3. Perform a fresh install of ESXi 5.1 on the orignal hardware
  4. Migrate the VMs back to the original host

COA#2:

1. Use the install CD to upgrade ESX 4.0.0 to ESXi 5.1

I am partial to COA#2, because less work is involved.  However, I don't like performing upgrades, because the performance of upgrades tend to be less than fresh install.

Has anyone faced the same dilemma?  If so, which COA faired best for you?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

There are a number of question that have to be answred first to determin which is the best method - do you have shared storage? Do you have vCenter? Are you licensed for vmotion? - either both will work.

I would also take a look at the upgarde guide - http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-51-upgrade...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
rufus54
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we have shared storage.

Yes, both ESX 4.0.0 and ESXi 5.1 are licensed for vMotion.

I have deployed a vCenter 5.0 instance.  The existing hosts are managed by a vCenter 4.0.0 instance.

Other information:

45 ESX 4.0.0 hosts and 730 VMs.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you are willing to stand up a vCenter 5.1 - move your 4.- hosts to the new vCenter 5.1 environment - clear the first host off with vmotion - do a fresh install of ESXi 5.1 vmotion the vms back and repeat for the remaining hosts - this method is detailed in the upgrade guide -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
rufus54
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

0 Kudos