VMware Cloud Community
JRink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5 to 4.0 Upgrade and iSCSI service console

With 3.5, I believe you needed a Service Console added to your vSwitch for iSCSI.

With 4.0, the Service Console is no longer needed for iSCSI.

When upgrading 3.5 to 4.0, does the upgrade process remove the service console on the iSCSI vSwitch? Or is this supposed to be done manually afterwards?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

With 3.5 it NAS/NFS that you needed a Service Console port that was able to see the NAS device - iSCSI all you need was a VMkernel port if you were using the software iSCSI intiator - if you are talaking NFS I believe you will have to manually remove the extra service console port -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The upgrade is not going to delete any networking that you have setup. So you will need to reconfigure the Virtual switching as desired after the upgrade.

Of course, I would recommend just doing a fresh install of ESX and then you would just create what is needed. As was mentioned, you just need a VMkernel port for ISCSI, preferably one on the same Network as your storage device.

0 Kudos