VMware Cloud Community
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX .1 RAID 1 -FAILED- ! @#$^@#^$*@#^$

A low use server had it's boot RAID-1 fail; on the same card are 2 other RAID-1's hosting the VMs'

1 LSI RAID card, 8 ports, 3 RAID-1's, 6 drives.

--This is all local storage.

Drives are being checked for error on the boot RAID-1.

SO If the RAID-1 will not rebuild:

1. Make a new RAID-1 losing the boot VMWare OS.

But would a new load recognize the existing RAID-1's containing the VM's?

2. ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would install ESXi to a USB flash drive. That will leave the broken disk/install alone. Once installed ESXi will recognize the existing Datastore(s). You will need to browse the datastore and manually "Add to Inventory" to get your VMs visible.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would install ESXi to a USB flash drive. That will leave the broken disk/install alone. Once installed ESXi will recognize the existing Datastore(s). You will need to browse the datastore and manually "Add to Inventory" to get your VMs visible.

0 Kudos
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is ESX 4.1 licensed not ESXi.

Do you believe I'll be able to transfer the vm's to the iSCSI unit with ESXi?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It does not matter whether you install ESX or ESXi, both can use the same license keys and can be configured the same way to connect to the iSCSI storage. Since ESXi has a smaller footprint you can either install it on an USB key as mentioned by DSTAVERT or install ESX/ESXi on the rebuilt RAID1 boot volume. Doing it either way, you should see the existing VMFS datastores after the installation and be able to add the VMs to the inventory.

André

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX and ESXi are functionally equivalent. Think rescue before anything else. While you can reinstal ESX you risk destroying something. Installing ESXi to a USB flash disk avoids the possibility of overwriting anything on existing disks.

0 Kudos
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I was hoping you'd answer; you answers/advice in the past have been right on the mark.

Thanks to all.

0 Kudos
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UPDATE:

RAID-1's with the vm's where intatct. Good news~!

I am not sure why the boot RAID-1 failed but my faith in RAID-1 technology just got tested.

It seems a RAID-5 is the only way to go these days in non-sequential ports.

Thanks to all.

Especially the reminder of think repair.

0 Kudos