VMware Cloud Community
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ERRORS: While moving 10.8TB VM from ESXi 5.5 to 6.0U2

While moving 10.8.tb VM from ESXi 5.5 to 6.0U2 using SCP I received purple screen and the following PUTTY Errors:

This is not my first time receiving purple screen. I assume this is a known issue with 5.5 so as a result I am moving to new HP DL360p Gen8 server with 6.0U2. I do not care as much of fixing the purple screen errors; I just wanted to move VMs off to new server.

It takes 4 days using SCP command to move 10.8TB VM and on day 3 while at 70% PUTTY failed due to purple screen on the 5.5 origin host.

Questions:

Can I recover from SCP failure or do I have to start over again?

Will PUTTY pick it up from where it was left over or not? (If i were to restart the process)

Yes I am aware there are other options and am interested in them but I decided to try the SCP method first because I thought it was stable.

1.jpg

2.jpg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe HPE Support document - HPE Support Center helps.

André

PS: Here's the link to the mentioned VMware KB article: https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2072254

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it does help to know what is causing the purple screen but now I am past that as I am moving to new Server.

My question was if I can resume SCP via PUTTY which stopped at 70% or if I should restart again?

0 Kudos
gregsn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I'm aware, SCP will not resume a copy.

You can try using https://damiendebin.net/files/esxi-static-rsync-3-1-0.tar.gz to resume your interrupted copy.

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Greg,

Any instruction on what it is and how to use it?

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Greg,

Any instruction on what it is and how to use it?

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anybody please?

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do you upload and install this package on ESXi host?

0 Kudos